PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Knee Issue

Shane Fairchild
08-14-2012, 09:28 PM
I have been doing CF for two and half years and have never experienced any sort of knee pain whatsoever until this week. I am 19 years old, 5' 11" and weigh 170lbs. Last Monday my left knee, below and behind the knee cap began to ache about 5 hours after my WOD. The pain has persisted for a whole week. On a pain scale it is about 5 out of 10. When I am walking there is little or no pain, but when I squat there is a sensation of pressure underneath the knee cap which is only relieved at the bottom of the squat (parallel or below). Also, if I am sitting down and I bend my knee I feel that same pressure the first time I bend the knee, but less with consecutive bending. I have looked at a lot of different posts regarding knee pain but I could not find one that really describes what I am feeling. There is no swelling of the knee and it is not sensitive to touch, so Iím hoping that would rule out any meniscus injury. Again, this pain is not sharp, but a dull feeling as if there is a lot of pressure underneath the knee cap. I do not remember tweaking the knee or injuring it so I am not sure what the issue is. Does anyone have an idea what this could be, and what is the best course of action i.e. stretches, squatting, resting, etc. Thanks!

p.s. the big tendon in the back of my leg has been kind of sore the whole time. I am not sure if that is pertinent

Liz Hyde
08-14-2012, 10:05 PM
I've had similar issues (though mine was below and outside the kneecap) and was diagnosed with patellofemoral syndrome.

Basically, when I bend my knee my knee cap doesn't track correctly, and rubs against stuff it shoulden't. Not only does that hurt but it can cause inflammation under the kneecap (which could be like pressure under the knee when you bend it)

For me it's due to muscle imbalances... my calves and hammys are chronically tight, my glutes and the inside of my quads are way underdeveloped. So a lot of my PT work is stretching/rolling the tight things and isolationg the weak things.

Though I'm still having issues... I went thru 6 weeks of PT, and it got a lot better, but not 100%, so I may also having something else going on. Couldent get an MRI (long story), so right now its guess time until it's bad enough to get scoped. Got a cortisone shot a couple months ago which helped, but I still gotta do my PT exercises whenever I can.

So anyway, off of that tangent... look that up and see if you have similar pain going on...

Wyatt Fairchild
08-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Look, Shane, I'm gonna let you finish. But I have the worst knee problems of all time!

Steven Low
08-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Sounds a lot like patellofemoral syndrome.

Would suggest reading through this article, and doing corrective fixes from page 4.

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions/

Also, would suggest getting it examined by an orthopedic doc so you can get a diagnosis.