PDA

View Full Version : Pain around lateral malleolus

Bret Goldstein
08-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Basically I have swelling in the front of the malleolus and it hurts in the back of the malleolus when I try to push off - meaning if you were to have to do a calf raise that doing the calf raise would hurt the back of the malleolus. This on the outer aspect of the right ankle.

Interestingly I can run and no pain when walking - but trying to generate force is pretty painful. I figure I sprained something but I am unsure if I am dealing with a tendonotic problem or a musculoskeletal strain.

Any ideas - besides "See a doctor."

Regards.

Matt A. Windsor
08-13-2012, 10:56 AM
See a doctor.

LOL - seriously though, that's a tough one to diagnose (at least for me, a non-doc). I say this because 2 years ago I thought I 'sprained' my ankle....only to find out six MONTHS later, after a ton of running and situps, that I had actually broken off part of my lateral malleolus, and 2 tendons/ligaments had snapped. O_o

If I remember correctly the peroneal tendon is behind the lateral malleolus; so you might Google that and see what advice is offered as far as rehab/prehab goes.

Bret Goldstein
08-13-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm pretty sure that I didn't break anything. I am more worried about a tendonotic process - I'm 40+. It feels like the bump around the outside of the ankle is tender and it is clearly swollen in the front of it. It doesn't really hurt that much and I can do what I need to do, but I don't want to worsen the problem.

I have basically been icing it and massaging it - no NSAID's.

I'm just looking for ideas.

I laughed at the doctor comment by the way.

Regards.

Matt A. Windsor
08-13-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm actually dealing with somewhat of the same problem...and mine's getting better. Unfortunately, the 'fix' has been doing NOTHING that generates that - for me that means no double unders or jump roping. I've been subbing in box jumps (I can do those) and rowing. Also been doing the rumble roller, lacrosse balls for trigger points, massaging it, etc.

This for me has been one of those problems that IS getting better but unfortunately has just taken quite a while to do (e.g., 3 or 4 months). :/

Bret Goldstein
08-13-2012, 07:21 PM
I am hoping that doing nothing isn't what is required.

Matt A. Windsor
08-14-2012, 06:06 AM
Well, I would say that in my case, 'nothing' equals 'active recovery that avoids stressing that area.' LOL I've paid attention to what stresses that muscle group/area, and what doesn't.

For instance, when I first pulled my Achilles tendon, I could hardly do anything but box jumps and rowing; so that's what I did. Now running doesn't stress it at all, but jump ropes still do; so I lay off the jump ropes. It's 'easy' for me to do, because while I like to get the WOD Rx, I'm REALLY in CrossFit for the health benefits, so if I have to substitute exercises, that's fine with me. I simply assuage my male ego (lol) by ensuring that whatever exercise I do is at least as hard as the one I'm subbing for. For instance, if I have to run that day for 200 meter intervals, I'll row for 400 or 500 meters.

Steven Low
08-19-2012, 07:01 PM
When did this problem start?

Any other details?