PDA

View Full Version : Bankart aka Labrum Repair

Zane Giddens
08-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Hi guys new to the CrossFit Forum. I was readying info on Bankart Repair when I was referenced over to this forum by a memeber. I am a 3-4 day week gym member but to be honest never heard of cross fit until now.

The reason for my visit is I'm having Bankart Lesion repair this Wednesday. 3 days :yikes: And I was hoping to get some good info from other members that have gone through this. Here is the background story:

15 years a go I dislocated my shoulder playing b-ball but didn't go to the dr since I was able to pop it back in myself. 15 years later, it has came out once or twice a year and is now getting harder to get back into socket. Also, now it seems to come out easier, thus I've had to adjust the way I sleep. I finally am tired of worry about if it will come out one day and I wouldn't be able to get it back in. I decided to go to the local Ortho which has a very good rep. MRI showed it was a Bankart Lesion aka torn labrum.

Like I said I'm having this surgery Wednesday 8/15. My first question is: The anesthesiologist suggested a pain block injection into my neck/collarbone for any shoulder surgery. This doesn't sound fun to me and I know it includes a risk also. I then asked a therapy techs what his thoughts where and he said, my surgery would be borderline whether it was needed but ended up suggesting it. What do you guys think or your experiences with this pain block shot concerning Bankart surgery? I don't want the shot or if I really need it.

Thanks
Zane

Tim Donahey
08-12-2012, 08:24 PM
I had the nerve block when I had my labral repair... I didn't know there were risks involved though, lol. It worked great though, there was zero pain until the next evening. The repair went perfectly; full range of motion now and I am getting my strength back within ballpark of where it was pre-injury.

Zane Giddens
08-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Nice Tim, how long ago did you have the surgery?

Dr. told me I should have full motion once I have healed.

Gravel Brown
08-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Part of my shoulder reconstruction was a Bankart Repair... amongst other things.

Have a read through the thread 'My SLAP Journey' in this section... should give you a few ideas.

All the best with the surgery.

Selina McFall
08-13-2012, 12:31 AM
I did not have a nerve block, I didn't like the sound of the risks and didn't think the pain could be anywhere near to that of a dislocated shoulder on the scale, so it didn't seem worth it.

The surgeon gave me a shot of local anaesthetic in the area as he finished the surgery, and that would have worn off after about 6 hours he said. But I had next to no pain - that didn't really start until I started with physio a couple of weeks' later.

I had arthroscopic surgery.

Tim Donahey
08-13-2012, 07:30 AM
Nice Tim, how long ago did you have the surgery?

Dr. told me I should have full motion once I have healed.

It's been eight and a half months

Matt A. Windsor
08-13-2012, 11:07 AM
I had the pain block, and I had no problem with it...however, mine was done differently than most do.

The doctor explained the whole thing to me ahead of time and as he walked through it. Basically, he used a device that not only could deliver the block medication, but that could also deliver a very minute electrical shock.

He inserted the needle and delivered a small electrical pulse; and ensured that my arm 'jumped' and contracted appropriately. He asked me if I had any 'alterations' to breathing. He went just a bit further, and delivered one very small electric pulse, and I had a sudden urge to cough and take a deep breath. At that point he knew where the breathing nerve was.

He then withdrew a bit and delivered a small shock again, verified it was contracting my arm, and then delivered a very low electric pulse for about 30 seconds. He verified that during the whole 30 seconds, my arm contracted, AND I had NO breathing 'alterations' (no urges to cough, breathe more deeply, etc.).

Once we were both satisfied that it was correct, he delivered the block. The *ONLY* side effect afterwards was

a) an arm that felt like a 100# dead fish for a day, and
b) a slightly lazy left eye.

Having had it once (and having NOT had it for my other 2 shoulder surgeries), I would absolutely do it again.

Zane Giddens
08-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Selina, I'm also having arthroscopic. And I was in the same line of thought but my Dr. hasn't mention giving me a local injection when he is done.

Matt, listening to your story steers me away from it until you said you would do it again at the end of your post. I'm wondering if your other surgeries open surgeries or arthroscopic?

Sean Rockett
08-13-2012, 09:12 PM
I do a lot of shoulder arthroscopies and I recommend it for pain relief afterwards, but if the idea of the needle wigs out people, no big deal I will deliver local anesthetic. Sean

Zane Giddens
08-15-2012, 10:10 PM
got to the hospital at 9:45 this morning. I was a little nervous when i made it back to the prep room, but 30 mins after the ativan kicked in i was ready to get it over with. i was ready to rock... it was 2:30 before i actually made it to the OR. it was about 4:30 when i woke up. i dont remember amyone talking to me in the OR, no count down or anything. maybe i crashed on the ativan before the good stuff.

home now in a sling. i did get the pain block, my fingers, hand, forearm are still bricks but im starting to fill my shoulder incision sites now. i just took 1 hydrocodon.

dr said i can come out of the sling once all my feeling comes back. no above head movement. i have pt monday.

he said my labrum was pulled back causing an open area for dislocations. im not sure how many anchors he used at this point.

Zane Giddens
08-17-2012, 04:12 PM
does this sound about right for my time post op.

2nd day post op. swelling in my hand & fingers are almost gone. shoulder and armpit stilll feels tight. still some pain in my shoulder when i adjust my lower arm position from 90 degrees in front of me to my side. also when i transition from sitting to standing.

ive been doing some hand wrist rotations and finger stretching. is this a good idea or should i move as little as possible right now?

i start pt in 3 days.

also how long should i wait before washing incision site with soap and water. thus far only cleaned with peroxide.

Selina McFall
08-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Did you see a PT before you were discharged? I did and they
showed me passive range of motion exercises (Like the pendulum) which I had to do from day 1.

I was told not to get the wound wet for two weeks. It had a dressing which the doctor changed after 5 days. They gave me some spare dressings in case I needed to change it, and some alcohol swabs in case it seeped, but it didn't. Peroxide sounds very aggressive, were you told to use this? The medical staff didn't use anything like that when changing my dressings.

Zane Giddens
08-17-2012, 05:51 PM
mine was out patient surgery and i was only told to keep in the sling until the pain block wore off. then i could move from my elbow down. he said if there was a $100 on the ceiling i still wasnt allowed to reach up. lol!

he didnt say anything about exercises for the 5 days before pt but ive been moving my shoulder very slightly because i want to stay mobile.

i also been using one of those ice machines. he said to stay in that for the 1st 48 hrs, which just passed. i think i will sleep with it still tonight.

my discharge papers said to remove dressing after 48 hrs, then to clean incisions with peroxide daily and re-dress. but do not immerse wounds in water.

Frank E Morel
08-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Pendulum exercise was post op day 1 encouraged.

Soap and water was day 5. The pin points were dry and sutures out. Then I had someone massage the incision point to break up the scar tissue.

Zane Giddens
08-17-2012, 06:12 PM
im going to google this pendulum exercise. my stitches are internal and was told they would dissolve.

Tim Donahey
08-17-2012, 07:02 PM
..........(> six characters)Did you see a PT before you were discharged? I did and they
showed me passive range of motion exercises (Like the pendulum) which I had to do from day 1.

I was told not to get the wound wet for two weeks. It had a dressing which the doctor changed after 5 days. They gave me some spare dressings in case I needed to change it, and some alcohol swabs in case it seeped, but it didn't. Peroxide sounds very aggressive, were you told to use this? The medical staff didn't use anything like that when changing my dressings.

x2

Selina McFall
08-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Zane

Are you based in the US? It seems to be an American thing to put peroxide on wounds, the whole idea of it makes me cringe! You use it to clean toilets!

I had 3 small incisions about 1 cm in length. Stitches out and dressing changed after 5 days. Dressing on and no water on wound for another week after that. After that I could expose it to the air and water, wash normally etc.

At no point did I need to clean the wounds, I just let them heal naturally. Once they were fully healed over I started using Mepiform (a silicone type of sticking plaster that it meant to minimise scarring). 9 weeks later the scars are healing really well, quite smooth.

Frank E Morel
08-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Zane

Are you based in the US? It seems to be an American thing to put peroxide on wounds, the whole idea of it makes me cringe! You use it to clean toilets!

no....no....no.

The percentage difference between the peroxide used in missiles is difference vs the peroxide used in submarine torpedoes vs the peroxide used to clean medical instruments vs the cleaner peroxide vs wound care vs dental teeth brightening.

1- It fine for cleaning wounds when it's diluted from 3percent to 1 percent
2- it's fine for cleaning closed wounds not open ones
3- peroxide is used in hospitals for wound care all over THE WORLD not just the USA

Lastly. Time lines for sutures to come out will vary from doctor to doctor, Healing times are pretty much uniform but surgeon beliefs as to when sutures are removed, will differ. Just like how and what they want for bandages.

Op...just follow your surgeon guidelines, Keep him happy and things will go better.

Selina McFall
08-17-2012, 09:42 PM
I'm well aware that its used in different dilutions, and completely agree you should follow your doctor's instructions.

However even if peroxide is used in hospitals everywhere, in my personal experience I've only found Americans who still use it today to treat wounds themselves. You don't need to do much research to see it's use is now considered controversial, as it kills bacteria etc, but also kills healing tissue so can increase healing time.

Frank E Morel
08-17-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm well aware that its used in different dilutions, and completely agree you should follow your doctor's instructions.

However even if peroxide is used in hospitals everywhere, in my personal experience I've only found Americans who still use it today to treat wounds themselves. You don't need to do much research to see it's use is now considered controversial, as it kills bacteria etc, but also kills healing tissue so can increase healing time.

Rn of 23 yrs of er , or and icu units... In 4 countries on 3 continents. Its usage is alive and well in wound care. Just boils down to what type of wound. Closed vs open.

Zane Giddens
08-20-2012, 01:29 PM
ok, so i went to mt first pt session today. my grip strength on my good side was 50lbs and surgery side was 38lbs which is expected due to non-use.

all my range of motion was on par for this stage except for laying on my back with my elbow to my side, good hand pushing surgery wrist side outward. i was supposed to make it to the neutral position (arm and elbow in line). i was an inch short but one time when applying the pressure, i heard and felt a big pop! the pt asked, what was that? i didnt know it felt as my ball moved right before it used to dislocate but it didnt dislocate and i didnt feel any pain, it just scared me. After that pop i was able to push my arm an inch past neutral, so it helped my range of motion. pt thinks it could have been scar tissue hindering my movement that broke loose. agree?

Sean Rockett
08-20-2012, 08:44 PM
replied to your PM