PDA

View Full Version : Sesamoiditis and Barefoot Shoes

Kenton Finkbeiner
08-10-2012, 10:58 AM
I seem to have developed sesamoiditis on my right foot.
And its only happened since I bought and started wearing
Merrell barefoot shoes.

I've iced my feet in the past and layed off of it for a bit
which seems to work, well, now it's back after a WOD
of clean and jerks yesterday.

With ice and rest it tends to go away, but my question is,
am I forever cursed to have this flare up every time I workout
or the more I ice, rest, and stretch the ligaments and tendons
the less and less this will be an issue?

Thanks,
Kenton

Steven Low
08-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Depends on a lot of factors.

There might be something in your mechanics that you need to work on moving from shoes to more barefoot options. Also, you may have to strengthen up your feet to tolerate the increased stress.

Foot drills (google that) and other foot exercises would likely be a good idea.

Does walking in the grass barefoot have any effect? Work up from there to short distances jogging, then more as you improve

Kenton Finkbeiner
08-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I'm still recovering and the pain is still too much to really do anything. I am using a large workout band, wrapping it around my big toe, and then hooking the opposite end on my knee. I hold this position for about 15 minutes. I've also been icing. I think that stretching is the key to my success.

Left foot has never had a problem... So aggravating.

Shannon Keating
05-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Hey Kenton,
I've been dealing with what has been diagnosed as Sesamoiditis for a couple months now. I think the initial injury happened when I was on weekend long hiking trip back in late January cause when I came back that area of my foot was inflamed/painful. I thought it went away but it seems to have come back. I wore a boot that kept the weight off the front of my foot for a couple weeks a few weeks back and was hoping it would go away after that but there's still a dull ache in my foot when I try to walk normally. I've gotten metatarsal pads, tried taping my big toe/foot in certain ways, and am considering using crutches for a few days to completely rest my foot. It's frustrating cause CrossFitting does not bother it - only walking does so it's hard for me to rest it completely. Would you mind telling me what you found to be successful in healing your injury?? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Shannon

Daniel Pope
05-30-2013, 06:57 AM
Hey all!

Very common problem with barefoot shoes. I'm just getting over this myself. Just wanted to say that we don't live in grassy knolls like we may have used to and I don't think our ancestors did cross fit either.

I think the combo of switching to the new shoes quickly and doing exercises on a hard surface for long periods at a high intensity can flair this up pretty easily.

I switched shoes for a bit, put some cushioning under the forefoot and slowly worked my way back to the barefoot style shoes slowly. I still switch shoes when I know I'll be doing a lot of jumping/running (especially on hard surfaces).

You may be able to work back to the barefoot shoes but this is a very common issue with the barefoot shoes that's tough to deal with.