PDA

View Full Version : Ruptured Bicep

Jason R Nelson
07-28-2012, 08:36 PM
How long you guys think I need to take off for a ruptured bicep? Dr. says no real fix for it and that I'm deformed for life but I'm more concerned with when I should start working out again...

Thanks!

Michael V. Erickson
07-28-2012, 10:21 PM
How long you guys think I need to take off for a ruptured bicep? Dr. says no real fix for it and that I'm deformed for life but I'm more concerned with when I should start working out again...

Thanks!
You might start with Googling: "Bill Starr muscle rehab"

and find a new doctor.

Skip Chase
07-29-2012, 03:42 PM
What part of your bicep has been ruptured. I've had 2. A distal total rupture and a total rupture of the long head. Both were surgically repaired.

Steven Low
07-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Typically if you're older like 50+ they might not do a long head repair of your biceps...

But they will almost always do a distal biceps tendon rupture repair.

Going to need more information...

But you can always get a second opinion from other docs which is a good idea.

Skip Chase
07-29-2012, 09:20 PM
I was 55 when they re-attached the long head.
Perhaps there is a Univ of WA educated doc near you.

Sean Rockett
07-29-2012, 10:35 PM
Go to my blog 321GoMD.com. A lot on biceps and shoulders, Sean

Sam Sang Won Lee
07-30-2012, 07:54 AM
I'm sorry I can't contribute any decent info on this topic but how did you rupture your bicep?. I personally believe that people don't need to suffer an injury to learn about injury types. maybe through sharing exercise injuries, we can exercise injury free.

Art Dirik
08-02-2012, 10:11 AM
wow, great blog info dr. rockett!

Jason, I also have a ruptured proxomal bicep head tendon - along with a large/partial supraspinatur rotator cuff tear. I am going to have surgery with dr. rockett on both. my injury happened about 2 months ago. It took about 2 weeks to feel good enough to continue some workouts...and I will continue until surgery time. I did see several doctors, most had the opinion that a ruptured long head bicep should be left alone since you dont really lose major strength, etc. I have dropped some movements and wods since the injury - such as heavy power cleans, overhead barbell, kipping....anyway I have decided to get both the bicep and rotator cuff repaired thru surgery.

good luck with your situation also!

Jason R Nelson
08-05-2012, 09:59 AM
I was doing power cleans and getting tired... Must have been doing more of a reverse curl as it just popped.

I'm going to have to go to a different Dr I guess after hearing you guys had yours reattached because this is frustrating. Not real painful unless lifting something. Problem is I love lifting things....

Kurt Patterson
09-19-2012, 06:23 AM
I tore mine on May 21 2012 doing cleans at 50% 1RM. I had Bicep Tenodesis and some shoulder work done on June 8 2012. I am 47 yrs old. Rehab is going great. I am back to WOD's with modifications. I would do the surgery again. It has been worth it even though it's been a long road. Find a new doctor.