PDA

View Full Version : Supraspinatus Tendonitis Question

Bryan Lloyd
07-25-2012, 04:01 PM
I was told I had this after going in to my Doc due to persistent shoulder pain. He gave me a steroid shot in my bursa sack that he said would start to work in three days and continue for 21. He told me I could start working out in three days. I told him about Crossfit and he said just don't lift too heavy. I don't want to make it worse and this does not sound like enough time off to me. My question for any one with experience in this is how long to take off and what can I continue to do without making it worse.Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Sean Rockett
07-25-2012, 08:36 PM
It depends on what his diagnosis is and what makes it hurt. It sounds like he was treating you for a bursitis and gave a cortisone. Typicall it means avoiding overhead stuff until pain goes away can be 4-6 weeks as long as nothing else is wrong in shoulder

Megan Zetter
07-26-2012, 07:10 AM
If the scapula has abnormal movement, healing the tendon will be difficult. I'd have someone assess your scapulohumeral movement and your posture. Like Sean said, often times eliminating overhead pressing/movements for a time will allow the tendon to calm down, but if the source of the issue is not addressed you will likely re-injure it.

Jen Greenwich
07-26-2012, 07:44 AM
I have had some supraspinatus issues in the past and actually tore it last spring (in an odd spot that presented as a torn labrum). My advice would be to rest it and be careful with it. Even if it feels okay, maybe scale back on some of your overhead weights.

Whatever you do, don't let it get to a point where you cannot lift your arm over your head without weight...

Bryan Lloyd
07-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Thank you for all your replies

Steven Low
07-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Remember that cortisone/steroids don't really fix the injury... just decrease inflammation. You still have to do rehab.

It would be a good idea to do some rehab work +mobility

and if you don't know what you are doing see a physical therapist.

Russ Monzon
12-24-2012, 02:32 PM
If the scapula has abnormal movement, healing the tendon will be difficult. I'd have someone assess your scapulohumeral movement and your posture. Like Sean said, often times eliminating overhead pressing/movements for a time will allow the tendon to calm down, but if the source of the issue is not addressed you will likely re-injure it.

sorry to hijack, but i just found this thread while doing a search.

i've been observed to have poor posture and scapular dyskenesia - my right shoulder blade "wings out" when i lower my arm down from over head. as such, i have fraying and tearing in my supraspinatus tendon that has been causing pain (seen in an MRI). besides doing Y and T exercises, what else can be done to address this issue? how do i strengthen the muscles that keep my scap in place?

Steven Low
12-24-2012, 02:33 PM
sorry to hijack, but i just found this thread while doing a search.

i've been observed to have poor posture and scapular dyskenesia - my right shoulder blade "wings out" when i lower my arm down from over head. as such, i have fraying and tearing in my supraspinatus tendon that has been causing pain (seen in an MRI). besides doing Y and T exercises, what else can be done to address this issue? how do i strengthen the muscles that keep my scap in place?
See a physical therapist...

If you have a winging scapula you need to be doing serratus anterior exercises as well.