PDA

View Full Version : Active Release after rotator cuff surgery?

Kevin McCahill
07-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Been through two rotator cuff surgeries in the past 15 months. I rehabbed the “traditional way”. Sling for 8 weeks, PT sessions for 8-12 weeks, slow build with light weights, etc. Seeing so many questions and reading so many treads about different shoulder experiences I wonder if anyone has used ART or deep tissue massage quickly after the surgery. I do ART to help with tissue, fascia, and mobility pains so I wonder if it could be used in the early stages after surgery.

Friend of mine is facing RC tear and small labral tear surgery soon and was asking about "new" methods of recovery. Just asking those on the boards that know much much more than I do....

Thanks!
Kevin

Brian Strump
07-16-2012, 10:20 AM
We do it to any post surgical patient with good results. As with most things, ART is only as good as the person performing it.

Been through two rotator cuff surgeries in the past 15 months. I rehabbed the “traditional way”. Sling for 8 weeks, PT sessions for 8-12 weeks, slow build with light weights, etc. Seeing so many questions and reading so many treads about different shoulder experiences I wonder if anyone has used ART or deep tissue massage quickly after the surgery. I do ART to help with tissue, fascia, and mobility pains so I wonder if it could be used in the early stages after surgery.

Friend of mine is facing RC tear and small labral tear surgery soon and was asking about "new" methods of recovery. Just asking those on the boards that know much much more than I do....

Thanks!
Kevin

Kevin McCahill
07-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks Bri. Very true. How quickly after surgery? Do you ask your athletes to get some strong ROM first or do they start within a week of operation? Obviously they see positive results?

Thanks!

Brian Strump
07-16-2012, 02:10 PM
I'd just wait for ortho to give them ok to start rehab....Probably a week post, I'd say. IMO, ART, Graston, whatever it is...just get it moving.

Thanks Bri. Very true. How quickly after surgery? Do you ask your athletes to get some strong ROM first or do they start within a week of operation? Obviously they see positive results?

Thanks!

Sean Rockett
07-16-2012, 05:23 PM
I'd just wait for ortho to give them ok to start rehab....Probably a week post, I'd say. IMO, ART, Graston, whatever it is...just get it moving.

when you say get it moving, just want to clarify for the world out there that you mean passively correct.

Brian Strump
07-16-2012, 05:30 PM
when you say get it moving, just want to clarify for the world out there that you mean passively correct.

Correct. The comment was directed at Kevin....For him to get the shoulder moving.

Selina McFall
07-17-2012, 05:55 AM
I am going through rehab for SLAP and anterior and posterior labrum tear surgery at the moment. I don't know if it is officially ART, but my physio is certainly using what feels like very deep massage on parts of my shoulder and arm. The improvement in my ROM following this is immediately noticeable. It is sore but not painful - a good feeling I'd say. They only started this at 4 weeks post surgery though.

Kevin McCahill
07-17-2012, 06:24 AM
Thanks everyone...I passed on the info. After going through it twice I would imagine it's all good after the initial swelling goes down.

Anything to get back to normal and as quickly as possible!

Sean Rockett
07-19-2012, 04:53 AM
Correct. The comment was directed at Kevin....For him to get the shoulder moving.

yes, we have all seen when someone starts moving actively before the repair has healed, because for some reason they think they heal faster than other human beings

Selina McFall
07-19-2012, 05:26 AM
Sean

At what stage do you allow your patients to start doing some active movements again?

Sean Rockett
07-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Sean

At what stage do you allow your patients to start doing some active movements again?

for routine tears 6 weeks