PDA

View Full Version : Slap tear

Sam Sang Won Lee
07-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Hey everyone! Hope everyone is doing well.
So I just read another post about slap tears and his recovery.
After I youtube'd slap tears and it seems like this is what I have.
However, I don't think my slap tear seems to be that serious
because it doesn't seem to fit the symptoms of the severe types of slap tears.
My questions are:

1. Can you recover completely from a minor slap tear without surgery?
2. If yes, how long should you refrain from doing any arm related exercises?
3. Is it ok to run? It's not actual arm exercise but since there is the swinging of the arm involved, could it worsen the slap tear?

Any other advice that anyone might have is greatly appreciated it. Thanks a lot everyone!!!

Matt Cagnetta
07-03-2012, 06:39 AM
Well, the shoulder is a complicated joint and a seemingly simple injury can limit your ability to complete even simple movements for some time and will be easy to re-injure if care is not taken.

Most labral tears have different degrees of severity, from minor tears to full separation, but it would be wise to see an Orthopaedist and get an MRI to determine the extent of the tear. The doctor should take into account your previous level of activity and determine if surgery/therapy is required.

The doctor will likely tell you to stay within your means, but surgery will lead to a recovery time of 6 months to possibly a year. If running doesn't aggravate the shoulder, you will probably be safe to do so (listen to your doctor). You will probably have to avoid most movements which involve lifting a load overhead or which distract the shoulder joint (e.g. farmer's carry).

Good luck and heal fast!

Sam Sang Won Lee
07-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Thanks!!
Man, it sucks to be bearing an injury.
Hopefully, this will allow me to avoid further injuries
by listening to my body when exercising. Thanks again!!

Sean Rockett
07-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Thanks!!
Man, it sucks to be bearing an injury.
Hopefully, this will allow me to avoid further injuries
by listening to my body when exercising. Thanks again!!

Go to my site www.321GoMD.com look up SLAP tears
3 separate posts on them ranging from prevention to treatment

Steven Low
07-04-2012, 08:20 AM
1. Can you recover completely from a minor slap tear without surgery?
2. If yes, how long should you refrain from doing any arm related exercises?
3. Is it ok to run? It's not actual arm exercise but since there is the swinging of the arm involved, could it worsen the slap tear?

There's different variations of SLAP lesions... complete recovery is generally impossible since you're tearing up your connective tissue which tends to not really heal by itself. But you can get to a high level depending on the type of tear and if its on the smaller side. So it really depends on a lot of factors.

Running is likely fine, as long as it doesn't aggravate your shoulder more.