PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder injury from snatching

Alex Kowalewski
06-21-2012, 01:09 PM
I've recently popped my shoulder out of place when doing snatches. I now have to really make sure I get external rotation in my arms. When I warm up it's now harder to get loose and I get pain in it after any snatch workout now.

Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent it from getting sore post workout or anything to add to my warmup routine? I warm up with a PVC pipe and do the burgener warm up before any snatching already.

Adam Phomin
06-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Likely tight internal rotators. Check out www.mobilitywod.com re: internal rotators

Alex Kowalewski
06-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Thanks! I had look on there before but never really knew what to search. Found some good stuff!

Gravel Brown
06-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Depending on how sore / painful it is you probably should be getting it checked out by a professional before continuing to snatch, you could potentially be making it worse, ie if there is some kind of a tear it will only worsen if you continue to load it dynamically.

Snatching is brutal on the shoulders, not the kind of exercise you should be doing whilst carrying an injury.

Steven Low
06-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Uhhhh, you subluxed your shoulder out of place?

You should definitely get it examined to make sure you didn't tear anything and a basic rehab program to get it back to operating much better.

If you go back right away you can make things worse as what Gravel is saying is true... complex movement with a potential injury.

Alex Kowalewski
06-23-2012, 02:57 PM
I had it checked by the doctor for my football team and he said there was no serious damage like that. Just to take a few day off

Steven Low
06-24-2012, 04:13 PM
I had it checked by the doctor for my football team and he said there was no serious damage like that. Just to take a few day off
Like I said in another thread:

I would very strongly suggest getting it checked out by a physical therapist.

Different types of instability/subluxation/dislocation require different exercises to help stabilize, rehab, and stretch to get you back to athletic activity, so throwing out advice without knowing what it is by us can be a bad idea.

See if there's any sports teams in the area that can give you the name of physios they use.

Om Puri
07-01-2012, 11:35 PM
I've injured my rotator cuff twice now from heavy snatching. The more you injure the same joint, the more likely you will keep re-injuring it, unless you change habits drastically. This 2nd injury for me has meant that I've not been able to snatch at all for 5 months. :mad: I've just recently started doing DB snatches - probably won't be doing BB snatches soon...

Let it heal. Then slowly strengthen with face pulls, scapular wall slides, cuban press.

Casey Jenks
07-07-2012, 05:44 PM
I dislocated my shoulder on a snatch last August and ended up needing surgery. They either told me to never lift heavy weight overhead again or get the surgery... didn't leave me much of a choice. Don't be stupid. Go see a good ortho.

Kirsty Fox
12-18-2013, 08:02 AM
I dislocated my shoulder on a snatch last August and ended up needing surgery. They either told me to never lift heavy weight overhead again or get the surgery... didn't leave me much of a choice. Don't be stupid. Go see a good ortho.

Are you now lifting overhead and able to snatch, etc post surgery? I recently dislocated my shoulder for a second time, a year after the first and waiting to find out if I will need to have surgery. I really don't want to not be able to Oly lift and and overhead work anymore! :(

Jeff Enge
12-18-2013, 08:30 AM
I just want to say, if you are dislocating your shoulder snatching, you really, really, really need to work on overhead position and upper back mobility/stability before you add any weight at all to the movement.

An efficient, "correct" (in quotes because there's not such thing as universal correct technique, just correct for you) snatch catch should not localize the stress in the shoulder area.