PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Low Back Ache

Walter Augustine
06-16-2012, 10:08 PM
When I do weighted back extensions, I feel a lot of soreness/tightness in my low back. Last workout with back extensions was 5 sets of 6 with 45-100-115-135-155. I get the same feeling after doing around 10 or so cleans with at least 135.

Is this normal fatigue that can be solved by strengthening my back extensions, or does this suggest a possible hip imbalance, lower crossed syndrome or something similar?

Matt A. Windsor
06-18-2012, 06:31 AM
While I'm no doctor, it could be a number of things. You could be imbalanced (as you suggest); you could have some other preexisting problem with your back (I had an L5/S1 impingement), and so on. I get the same thing when I do a lot of exercises that focus on my lower back, and I KNOW I'm imbalanced a bit (still recovering from an ankle surgery).

Scott Kraatz
06-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Sounds exactly like what I've experienced (well, other than squats are what does it for me). In my case it seems to be anterior pelvis tilt.

I've had a lot of success by adding hollow body rocks/holds, plank holds and superman holds to my warm-up. I also focus on keeping good posture and hollow body throughout the day. It's made a huge difference for me.

I also switched to front squats in my strength work temporarily and will be adding goblet squats to my warmup to help strengthen my core.

I also found I was a bit weak/inactive in the glutes. So I've been focusing on using my glutes more when standing and walking. I've also tried to focus on externally rotating my hips when standing and squatting (see K-star MWOD) which helps correct anterior pelvis tilt.

I had a higher volume than usual squat day yesterday and I'm feeling great today.

The above mentioned things have all but ended any discomfort I was experiencing.

Good luck to you,

Scott

Scott Kraatz
06-18-2012, 08:07 AM
Oh, I've also had luck mobilizing my psoas (again, see MWOD).

Steven Low
06-19-2012, 11:36 AM
wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/02/so-you-hurt-your-lower-back/

Do mobility from the spinal section see if that helps.

As far as other things are concerned as the people in here stated it could be many different potential things so you're going to have to provide more information on your posture and any other potential issues you've been having aside from the ones above

Walter Augustine
06-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the responses.

The hip flexor stretch (couch stretch) from mwod immediately helps to reduce anterior pelvic tilt for me, but it's not permanent. Also, I've started doing more posterior chain work 2x a week including romanian deadlifts and glute bridges. I will see if my posture changes within 1-2 weeks or so.