PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Popped out!

Robert Sanchez
05-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Hey guys, just came back from my afternoon WOD. Did Nancy (400m run with OHS's) and even though it was a dumb move, i was practicing butter fly pull ups post wod. when i went up to do the first pull up on my way down I felt my shoulder pop out of place and a little crunch. As soon as i hit the floor it popped back in and now i have slight pain when i move my arm around in circles.

Any idea what could have happened here? and what tips you can offer because i do not want to give up wod'ing. Thanks

Tim Donahey
05-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Butterfly Pullups: Rated #1 exercise by Elective Surgery Monthly.

You subluxated (partially dislocated) your shoulder and heard your cartilage go crunch... and sadly with sublexes, much like Lay's potato chips, you can't have just one. Well, you could have just one, but only if you're dedicated to rehabbing and very, very lucky. Keep in mind, all it took was one butterfly pullup to sublux your shoulder. Not a good sign.

Shoulder subluxations quickly turn into a chronic problem because they stem from shoulder instability - caused either by a trauma (eg. butterfly pullups) or congenitally - and loose shoulder connective tissue is unlikely to tighten back up on its own. Could be any number of things, ranging from stretched ligaments to a torn labrum.

Best case scenario, you spend a significant amount of time doing rotator cuff strengthening and your RC will stabilize the shoulder. Worst case scenario, it keeps subluxating or starts dislocating, gradually grinding down the cartilage until you have none. You'll want surgery before you get to that point. Post surgery? Six weeks in a sling, six months of rehab, up to a year before your shoulder is "athletic" again.

My advice:

#1. Stop wod'ing. I know this is the last thing you wanted to hear, but you jacked up your shoulder good, and wods are for people with healthy shoulder. Make your shoulder healthy again and then you can wod.

#2. Rest it for a week to ten days. You can either devote your body's resources to increasing your fitness or healing your shoulder... I suggest the latter since increasing your fitness is kinda moot if you have a bum shoulder for the rest of your life.

#3. Ice that sucker. Ideally 30 min on, 30 min off, several times a day. Don't go any longer than that and don't let it get too cold, cuz frostbite isn't gonna do you any extra favors. Wear a shirt under the ice or use a towel.

#4. After you've rested it, start your rehab and mobility regimen. Diesel crew has a good shoulder rehab circuit: http://www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-shoulder-rehab (wfs), here's another c/o mobilitywod: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0Elx93duAA (wfs). This should be your sole form of resistance exercise. Run, walk, bike, but no weights and no shoulder dominant exercise. Keep icing.

#5. Never ever do butterfly pullups again. Ever. There might be a lot of exercises you shouldn't do anymore actually. You'll probably find these out the hard way.

#6. Punch the person who told you to butterfly pullup in the face (with your good arm). This is optional, but could be very satisfying.

I can't overstate the seriousness of caring for your shoulder enough. Be afraid. I know.

Tim Donahey
05-31-2012, 01:05 PM
One more suggestion. You might want to take some supplements that could aid with the healing. Fish oil, 2 grams/day. Universal Animal Flex for another.

Robert Sanchez
05-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Hey thanks for the info. ill try icing and resting for a couple days and see what happens. It doesnt really hurt now, only minimal pain upon rotating my arm a bit but lets see what happens. thanks again!

Arturo Garcia
06-01-2012, 01:19 PM
My shoulders are naturally loose, well, they both were, but so many years of tennis and table tennis (the two sports I've played the most) have contributed to my right shoulder's stability.

The left? As Tim says, it can subluxate at any time. I once did it on a weighted pull-up. More recently, doing "The Fourth Powerlift" (according to Rip), the laying tricep extension (extending to a pull-over type movement at the bottom). And I was doing the latter with dumbbells!

I have learnt the hard way that I just shouldn't do some exercises. And some isolation exercises for the rear delt and medial delt seem to help a bit.

It sucks. I would love to be one of those guys benching with flared elbows and doing all the "wrong" moves and never getting hurt. But I'm not. :mad: