PDA

View Full Version : Soleus pain

Kevin Keast
05-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Hi there - I'm popping in with another one of those little nagging areas of pain that would be nice to get rid of!

I've recently been doing some trail running. I have been getting a pain in my lower left leg. I'm not an anatomy expert but it seems to be in the lower area of the Soleus/Flexor Digitorum Longus, on the tibia side. It usually begins the day after a run and lasts up to a few days. In those days afterwards, even walking 30-40 minutes can flare it up. :eek:

I run in VFF but have had this problem mutliple times over the years using various shoes. I do have a good amount of pronation on that foot as well.

Anyways, if anyone can chime in I would greatly appreciate it. When the pain pops up, I have to take at least a few days off from running and it is messing with my training.

Kevin Keast
05-21-2012, 06:00 PM
The more I am reading the more I think it is the FDL. I totally do get a claw toe when I am running, especially on steep hills. Maybe some calf raises keeping all my toes flat on the floor?

Kevin Keast
05-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Looks like I have a tendinopathy of the ankle/foot flexors as a result of the constant gripping of the foot for stability on this uneven terrain.

Ice afterwards for sure.

Also looking to other ankle/foot strengthening exercises in all directions beyond calf raises...Any suggestions for building up iron feet and ankles?

Steven Low
05-25-2012, 08:46 PM
If it runs directly posterior to the medial malleolus it's usually tibialis posterior tendonitis.... although it could be flexor digitorum longus or flexor hallucis longus so that's not out of the question. Hell, it could be multiple if the sheaths are getting aggravated

This may help

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/

Kevin Keast
05-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Thanks, Steven!