PDA

View Full Version : Pain in ankle during squat

Stephen Wade
05-06-2012, 12:50 AM
The side of my ankle from about mid-calf to the joint at the foot hurts only when I squat (with and without weight). The pain increases when I try to push my knee out further in a deep squat. It's not a sharp pain, but it's a dull achey pain. The pain dissipates a bit after being the squat for a while. This all started when I dismounted from a handstand and landed hard on my foot maybe hyperextending it towards my shin. There is a spot in that ankle area that is a bit tender, but nothing excruciating. I noticed it gets better when I roll that area out (with a lacrosse ball), but the relief doesn't last very long.

Any thoughts on what this might be? Someone said ankle sprain, but does anyone have experience with this? And for whatever it is, could you suggest a treatment?

Thanks

Sean Rockett
05-06-2012, 06:42 PM
when did you do this, if the foot is pushed towards the shin you can sometimes sprain the syndesmotic ligament, the ligament between the two bones at the ankle joint.

Stephen Wade
05-06-2012, 08:48 PM
It was about 2-3 weeks ago. I thought some rest would help it which is why I'm only asking now.

What I've now noticed too is that it also hurts on the front of my shin right where it connects to the foot when I flex my foot towards my shin.

Sean Rockett
05-07-2012, 06:57 PM
It was about 2-3 weeks ago. I thought some rest would help it which is why I'm only asking now.

What I've now noticed too is that it also hurts on the front of my shin right where it connects to the foot when I flex my foot towards my shin.

most likely a syndesmotic ligament sprain, if it persists get checked out and go to my website www.orthopedicsne.com for PT protocols for ankle sprain

Steven Low
05-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Could also potentially be just some type of impingement that you need to let heal.

Or the joint could be "stuck" in a particular position and need to be mobilized.

I would suggest getting it checked out by a physical therapist or chiro if it's not much better after another week or two.

Hollie Jacobs
05-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Get it checked by a PT to be sure.