PDA

View Full Version : Lower-back and upper-glute pain

Frances Ballesteros
04-30-2012, 03:24 PM
I'll explain a little...

Two weeks ago I was warming up to do some back squats and I felt some sharp, sort of pinching pain on my lower-back. I was stupid and didn't take time of the gym, tried some Front squats a week later and I had to stop because the pain aggravated and sort of shifted to my right upper glute, although I get a little pain on the left side too.

I'm stretching my glutes, low-back and hamstrings quite a lot and it seems to help. Rolling on a tennis ball helps a lot too, the pain kind of goes away, it's still the first day that I'm feeling these symptoms. I'll see how I feel the next couple of days.

Supposedly I have scoliosis, which causes me to tilt towards one side a little sometimes, most notably during strict presses, my hips shift to the left.

One more thing, it hurts my lower-back when sneezing too. I'm thinking it may be a slipped disc, which would suck...

I want an opinion as to what may have caused this issue. I'm scheduled to see a traumatologist on Friday, and we'll see what happens next :confused:

Thanks

Sean Rockett
04-30-2012, 03:48 PM
I'll explain a little...

Two weeks ago I was warming up to do some back squats and I felt some sharp, sort of pinching pain on my lower-back. I was stupid and didn't take time of the gym, tried some Front squats a week later and I had to stop because the pain aggravated and sort of shifted to my right upper glute, although I get a little pain on the left side too.

I'm stretching my glutes, low-back and hamstrings quite a lot and it seems to help. Rolling on a tennis ball helps a lot too, the pain kind of goes away, it's still the first day that I'm feeling these symptoms. I'll see how I feel the next couple of days.

Supposedly I have scoliosis, which causes me to tilt towards one side a little sometimes, most notably during strict presses, my hips shift to the left.

One more thing, it hurts my lower-back when sneezing too. I'm thinking it may be a slipped disc, which would suck...

I want an opinion as to what may have caused this issue. I'm scheduled to see a traumatologist on Friday, and we'll see what happens next :confused:

Thanks

Sneezing increases the pressure in your disks causing pain and irritation of nerve roots if there is a bulge or herniation. These usually occur from a weakness in the ligament that typically the disk in place.

Michael Travis
04-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Do some research on SI Joint Dysfunction. Pain in lower back to the glute area could be indicative of SIJ issues, which often gets misdiagnosed as a slipped disc.. Just food for thought

Sean Rockett
04-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Do some research on SI Joint Dysfunction. Pain in lower back to the glute area could be indicative of SIJ issues, which often gets misdiagnosed as a slipped disc.. Just food for thought

why would a sneeze hurt the SI joint

Frances Ballesteros
05-01-2012, 03:04 AM
I was thinking th SI joint, but then the sneezing comes onto the equation, and I think it may be a slipped disk :( In which case, I'll get recommended to stop lifting weights :O

Steven Low
05-01-2012, 07:22 AM
why would a sneeze hurt the SI joint
It could if there's instability and causing muscle spasms which is often the case with a slipped SI joint leading to some sort of piriformis type irritation

-----------

OP:

Check this out. gives some general guidelines on what practitioner to go to and things that may or may not help

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/02/so-you-hurt-your-lower-back/

Frances Ballesteros
05-02-2012, 08:09 AM
Thanks!

Steven, I was looking forward to your response. I'll check it out and see how I feel

I couldn't help it, but yesterday, I went to the gym and did some pull-throughs, hyperextensions, and some abs as well (not crunches) plus stretching. It seems to help quite a bit actually, and the pain is minimal. I'll see how it feels the next couple of days.

Thanks again :)

Frances Ballesteros
05-04-2012, 05:57 AM
SO I took this picture, and I was told that I have external rotation of my hips, could this be a cause of piriformis?

Steven Low
05-04-2012, 03:37 PM
SO I took this picture, and I was told that I have external rotation of my hips, could this be a cause of piriformis?

Unlikely.

Your postural alignment is governed by your nervous system and that includes more than one muscle..., and a small one at that.

Posture can be a sign of things gone awry though so it's possible that it can contribute to the problem somewhat.

Frances Ballesteros
05-06-2012, 03:16 AM
Thanks!

I went to the traumatologist on Friday and he made me do a couple of positions to see if my lower-back hurt. I suppose he was looking for a herniated disc, but none of those positions hurt.

My scoliosis and something in my hips caught his attention so I'm getting X-rays next Friday to see what's up. I'm going to tell him about a slipped SI joint as the symptons seem to match up, and the fact that one of my legs is shorter than the other reinforces my opinion.

We'll see what happens

Steven Low
05-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Sounds good. Let us know what happens

Frances Ballesteros
05-12-2012, 02:51 AM
X-ray showed that I have a slight curvature in my spine, but it's caused because my left leg is shorter than the right leg. The doctor sent me to the physical therapist and then I'll know what's going on with my back, and the appropiate treatment for it...

Chris DeCarlo
05-15-2012, 06:27 AM
i would suspect an imbalance in muscles due to your scoliosis...the fact that you did some exercise and it worked itself out is a good sign...i would look in to quadratus lumborum , gluteus maximus and piriformis trigger points on the side of pain..THE QUADRATUS IS THE MOST OVER LOOKED MUSCLES IN THE LOWER BACK AND CAN MIMIC SCIATICA AND DISC INJURIES..it will refer pain around front into thigh and also down into lower glute..hit all those trigger point and stretch them out..

i wish i had a nickel for every time someone was told they had a disc injury by "someone" then after a few sessions of trigger point to quadratus it gets better

Frances Ballesteros
05-15-2012, 11:11 AM
i would suspect an imbalance in muscles due to your scoliosis...the fact that you did some exercise and it worked itself out is a good sign...i would look in to quadratus lumborum , gluteus maximus and piriformis trigger points on the side of pain..THE QUADRATUS IS THE MOST OVER LOOKED MUSCLES IN THE LOWER BACK AND CAN MIMIC SCIATICA AND DISC INJURIES..it will refer pain around front into thigh and also down into lower glute..hit all those trigger point and stretch them out..

i wish i had a nickel for every time someone was told they had a disc injury by "someone" then after a few sessions of trigger point to quadratus it gets better

Thanks for the advice, but I'm in pain at this very moment. Started working out as pain seemed to fade away. Today after I showered I felt some really sharp pain in my lower-back, and at some point it felt like part of my lower-back went num. It still hurts quite a bit and I'm having difficulty walking without pain :S

I'm scheduled to see a physical therapist on Monday, if the pain persists, I might even go before...

Man, this sucks!