PDA

View Full Version : Calf pain after racking squats

Robert Walsh
04-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Lately I've been having problems with my calves after squatting. I recently started the hatch squat program and have been squatting with pretty high intensity and volume. The first couple weeks were pretty rough as far as soreness and fatigue, but my body seems to have normalized. The only problem is that my calves kill me after each set. While I'm squatting I'm OK, but as soon as I rack the bar they hurt. I can barely walk right after the set. The pain is on the outside of my lower leg and also in the calf muscle itself.

When I goto roll it out (w/ a foam roller or pvc pipe) it hurts like a mother and doesn't seem to get better.

NOTE: I think the problem also started after I did some bleacher sprints -- my calves were sore for a couple days after those and the squatting must have aggravated them even further.

Any feedback/help is greatly appreciated!

Eric Montgomery
04-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Spend some quality time digging into your calves with a lacrosse ball every day for a few weeks and see if they improve.

Michael Kelley
04-29-2012, 03:37 PM
I've been struggling with calf issues as well, and the more I learn, the more I believe that you have to pay as much attention to your hamstrings and feet as you do your calves. They may just be the weakest point in the posterior chain, and that tightness and immobility throughout the posterior chain may just be expressing itself there.

Robert Walsh
04-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Thanks guys. I will use the lacrosse ball and just tough it out. I also believe I need more flexibility in my hamstrings. Really need to get some bands so I can fully utilize the MWOD.

Steven Low
04-29-2012, 04:53 PM
See if what you did above will help after half a week or a week and then re-eval with more infos.