PDA

View Full Version : How to detect overtraining

Yotam Wei
04-27-2012, 06:00 AM
Hi

I restarted cross fit 2 weeks ago after more then a year's break.
I did Fran yesterday and overtrained- today i need to support myself to walk up/down hills/stairs.

What signal could I have detected in my body that this was going to happen?

My quads tend to be sensitive to overtraining, do I need to pace myself based on numbers rather then based on a feeling in my body? Eg, is it:

1) now that I know that pushing a 10 minute Fran with 30 kg, should I just make sure I go easier on time/weight next time

Or

2) should I push as hard as possible but watch out for a particular sensation in My body?

Thanks.

Steven Low
04-27-2012, 08:01 AM
Your performance decreases is the obvious one.

wfs
http://resoluteperformance.com/articles/recognizing-overtraining-syndrome

Clint Harris
04-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Welcome to crossfit mate.
I don't know if you can "overtrain" from one workout. Being sore after pushing yourself is common IMHO - at least it is to me. There's the "DOMS" situation but simply having tired/achy muscles after a certain day is common -especially as we get older. It seems to me that you just torched your thighs from doing 45 thrusters and your muscles aren't used to doing that. What did you do for the previous 2 weeks ? Work out every day and Fran was like the 10th wod in a row ? If so, that's a good candidate for overtraining, but if you had one or two days off, with maybe some footy practice and perhaps a wod the day before, then did Fran and are now sore - then that's not overtraining IMHO.
Over-training would occur if you ignored that pain, and went and worked out today. Then tomorrow, you wake up feeling like your blankets were made of lead, and you still go and workout. The next day, you do the same thing and then again the next day. You end up so sore and tired you can't keep your eyes open nor get to sleep.
So, torching your thighs, or your triceps (wait for Elizabeth, you'll do both thighs and tris) or butt, or lower back or a calf strain, or whatever will happen in the future. Just listen to your body and rest when this happens. Crossfit is addictive so we want to do all the wods, but there's always another one so missing one won't matter and you'll be better for it.

So over-training isn't DOMS, over-training is not being smart. Go hard, push Fran to 9 minutes next time, but listen and rest your body if it's needed. You'll probably acclimate better to all this after a month or so anyway.
BTW: There's been plenty of times I've had to miss a couple of days crossfit because I could barely sit in a chair of go down the stairs. It may be worse tomorrow too.

Yotam Wei
04-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks Steven and Clint.

I now understand that I have not "over trained" but rather Have severe muscle soreness / doms. (I worked out 3 times last week and twice this week and have had a year break from cross fit)

BUT because I couldn't walk properly down stairs.... Surely this isn't healthy? Surely that's not good cross fit?

Right?

If yes, then how do I prevent that happening next time?

Katherine Derbyshire
04-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Either don't take a year off from Crossfit, or ramp back up more slowly, or both. Soreness -- very roughly speaking -- comes from a high volume of an unaccustomed movement, especially if that movement is performed under load or at high speed.

Katherine

Damon Stewart
04-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Thanks Steven and Clint.

I now understand that I have not "over trained" but rather Have severe muscle soreness / doms. (I worked out 3 times last week and twice this week and have had a year break from cross fit)

BUT because I couldn't walk properly down stairs.... Surely this isn't healthy? Surely that's not good cross fit?

Right?

If yes, then how do I prevent that happening next time?

I always advise people who are coming back after a layoff or starting up fresh to do 2 things: Do workouts at 80% of the load and perceived exertion that you think would be "easy." Second of all, it's to walk out for at least your first 4 weeks feeling like "I could have done more" rather than "I hope I can get to my car."

Hollie Jacobs
05-16-2012, 09:04 AM
This is a good thread. Thanks for the info guys! :)