PDA

View Full Version : Arthritis Developing In Knee

Noah Drew
04-24-2012, 05:18 PM
I have a member who is having knee issues. His doctor suggests that he no long run, jump or squat. I responded with, "if you stop squatting you stop living!". Has anyone dealt with this? If so, how and what exercises did you stop having them do? He says he gets "clicking" when he does lungs mostly.

Robert Walsh
04-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Is said client currently doing mobility work? Hips, quads, hammies, calves, feet, groin, etc?

Sean Rockett
04-24-2012, 07:44 PM
I have a member who is having knee issues. His doctor suggests that he no long run, jump or squat. I responded with, "if you stop squatting you stop living!". Has anyone dealt with this? If so, how and what exercises did you stop having them do? He says he gets "clicking" when he does lungs mostly.

I doubt an Orthopedic doctor would say this. Have him see one for an opinion or second opinion. Patellofemoral artritis can do this. Also meniscal tear. Physical exam can tell difference.

Steven Low
04-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Fish oil and glucosamine may help.

But yeah, second opinion would be a good idea from an ortho

Noah Drew
04-24-2012, 09:02 PM
He is doing mobility wod work and I got the same feeling. I can't imagine a doctor telling poeple to stop squating. That seems nuts to me.

Andy Shirley
04-24-2012, 09:25 PM
As someone who recently gave up squatting due to arthritis, I feel his pain.

After recently ramping back up to Crossfit, I started having knee pain and swelling, particularly after a WOD with running(Helen). Got it checked out. XR showed pretty significant osteoarthritis of the affected knee(other one was ok). Got an MRI: severe arthritis on pretty much all articular surfaces, a small tear on the the lateral femoral condyle and a large flap tear on the medial side.

Ortho basically told me to do as much as I can, but to limit impact. I had the effusion drained and steroids injected. Squatting is very uncomfortable, and a bit painful. Keeping the weights relatively light(DL 225 in a recent WOD wasn't an issue, and power cleaned 225 pretty easily on a ME day the other day). But when the knee bends, it is quite painful if loaded, likely due to recurrent effusion. Air squats are also difficult.

I'm just biding my time, until surgery is absolutely necessary(OATS or ACI), eventually TKA. I'm 34. Sucks balls.

Noah Drew
04-24-2012, 10:51 PM
As someone who recently gave up squatting due to arthritis, I feel his pain.

After recently ramping back up to Crossfit, I started having knee pain and swelling, particularly after a WOD with running(Helen). Got it checked out. XR showed pretty significant osteoarthritis of the affected knee(other one was ok). Got an MRI: severe arthritis on pretty much all articular surfaces, a small tear on the the lateral femoral condyle and a large flap tear on the medial side.

Ortho basically told me to do as much as I can, but to limit impact. I had the effusion drained and steroids injected. Squatting is very uncomfortable, and a bit painful. Keeping the weights relatively light(DL 225 in a recent WOD wasn't an issue, and power cleaned 225 pretty easily on a ME day the other day). But when the knee bends, it is quite painful if loaded, likely due to recurrent effusion. Air squats are also difficult.

I'm just biding my time, until surgery is absolutely necessary(OATS or ACI), eventually TKA. I'm 34. Sucks balls.

This sounds very similier to what this gentleman is going through. Are you able to wear a brace or wraps to make it feel any better?

Daniel Pope
04-25-2012, 05:14 AM
Fish oil and glucosamine may help.

But yeah, second opinion would be a good idea from an ortho

Good recommendation. Weight loss is another big one that helps. Finally arthritis is a degenerative condition that can be aggravated from almost any type of stress. I'd think that normalizing biomechanics at the knee with hip stretching/strengthening, ankle mobility and foot strengthening might help in this circumstance.

Modifying exercising to be very hip dominant. Staying away from high impact running. People with knee pain can usually get away with box squats.

The diagnosis sounds vague to me, is this an older man/woman?

Jessica S Roberts
04-25-2012, 06:12 AM
I just had left knee surgery 13 days ago for torn cartilage. I also had previously been diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis in that knee based on MRI results. On my follow up appointment last Friday, my doctor told me that on a cartilage rating scale of 1 - 4, with 1 being pristine and 4 being bone-on-bone, the remaining cartilage in my knee was rated a 3.5. My orthopedist knows my workout history and that I do CrossFit and weightlifting. He strongly advised me that I needed to stay away from squatting and all forms of high impact exercises (running, box jumps, etc.) He explained the science behind the knee and how those movements effect it. He is my second opinion doctor and he also is an avid exerciser. The first orthopedist I saw for my left knee told me the same about squatting and high impact exercises - and that was six months before my recent surgery.

I will be doing a series of injections that will help to regenerate some cartilage and I'm taking my glucosimine supplements and fish oil. However, even as much as I love my CrossFit, I will be adapting my workouts to accommodate my knee. I don't want to live in the day to day pain that I was pre-surgery just so I can say I set a new squat PR or that I cut a few seconds off my box jump workout.

Noah Drew
04-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Good recommendation. Weight loss is another big one that helps. Finally arthritis is a degenerative condition that can be aggravated from almost any type of stress. I'd think that normalizing biomechanics at the knee with hip stretching/strengthening, ankle mobility and foot strengthening might help in this circumstance.

Modifying exercising to be very hip dominant. Staying away from high impact running. People with knee pain can usually get away with box squats.

The diagnosis sounds vague to me, is this an older man/woman?

No, he's 30. I guess he's always had bad knees but he is starting to get pain after doing Crossfit for 4 months.

Andy Shirley
04-25-2012, 03:45 PM
This sounds very similier to what this gentleman is going through. Are you able to wear a brace or wraps to make it feel any better?

Wraps do not help(actually hurts), haven't tried a brace.

Noah Drew
04-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Wraps do not help(actually hurts), haven't tried a brace.

Good to know. I guess the doctor told him to wear a soft brace. So we'll see how that goes.