PDA

View Full Version : glute pain

Robert D Taylor Jr
04-23-2012, 09:37 AM
I have been experiencing a fairly intense pain in my left glute whenever I squat or dead heavy (say around my 5RM or a little below that) I'm pain free otherwise. This feels "muscular" but at a 8 out of 10 while I'm coming up. I don't lose strength. I am a desk drone other than my work out.

I have tried resting it, it usually will stay "OK" for a couple of sessions then flare back up. I haven't tried any special mobility work for it.

Any suggestions?

I am considering backing way off and rebuilding these lifts, but about a month out of the gym didn't fix it so...

Steven Low
04-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Do some high rep work with some hip hinge exercises, with a slow eccentric motion and see how it feels.

Robert D Taylor Jr
04-23-2012, 10:04 AM
hip hinge= deads, squats, RDLs Good Mornings?

high rep =10?

Thanks Steven, I was hoping you'd field this one.

Steven Low
04-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Squat

Though I'm assuming it's a strain of some sort.

What kind of pain type is it?

Robert D Taylor Jr
04-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Squat

Though I'm assuming it's a strain of some sort.

What kind of pain type is it?

kind of a tearing deep pain. Probably a6-8/10 (although I'm bad at this scale. I lost some VA because my pain tolerance is pretty high.

Steven Low
04-23-2012, 03:16 PM
What does the soft tissue feel like if you mobilize it or massage it?

Robert D Taylor Jr
04-23-2012, 03:21 PM
What does the soft tissue feel like if you mobilize it or massage it?

soft. The pain pretty much goes away when I stop using it. I had a massage last week and the therapist said my glutes were the least tight part of my body. I don't really feel any trigger points.

The pain runs from my top inner thigh to my hip at an angle across the glute.

I don't know if I explained this part, I can squat 135 all day with no pain same with 225 ish, 245-255 is where the pain is, also where my work sets are for sets of 5 (in that region) Similar for deads.

Steven Low
04-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Hmmm.

You can take a 5/3/1 approach to deadlifts with lighter weight and higher reps progressively and see how it goes.