PDA

View Full Version : thumb injury -- hook grip

Andrew Breyer
04-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Hello,

I've been olympic lifting for about 5 years now making significant gains in C&J and Snatch. Of course, I always use the hook grip, but two weeks ago it got the best of me.

I was doing heavy hang snatches, and one of my working sets I felt my thumb move out of place. It did not hurt very much, but I could not hang onto the bar very well. I left the gym thinking it would be fine.

Two weeks later, I still cannot use the hook grip with my right thumb. The pain is not in the webbing of the thumb, rather exactly opposite of that (i.e. the second knuckle from the thumb nail is swollen).

I'm thinking I should go in to check it out, especially now that I notice that the thumb muscle (the pad of my palm) is smaller on the injured hand than the other side.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this sort of injury. How long can I expect recovery to be? Could I be needing surgery? Is this something permanent? I am worried.

Thanks for reading.

Andrew

Steven Low
04-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Sounds like maybe a slight dislocation or subluxation.

You'll likely be sent for physical therapy I am guessing.

Since the injury was fairly bad I'm assuming your muscles will tighten up and if not used will start to atrophy a bit hence the smaller size.

Recovery depends on how bad the issue is.... basically get it checked out by an ortho or PT specializing in hands.

Hollie Jacobs
05-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Have you checked with your doctor?