PDA

View Full Version : Trapezius and/or Subscapularis always knotted up

Brian Patrick
04-22-2012, 10:30 AM
So over a year ago in February I had a mumford procedure where they ended up grinding out 5.5mm of my clavicle to fix the impingement in my shoulder. Ever since then my shoulder just doesn't sit the same.

It felt good for a long time, but now it's starting to back fire. Back in December I had a rhomboid spasm that stuck me on the couch watching TV, while loaded up on painkillers, for 2 weeks. And now I'm always in a state of tightness. For about 2 months now, I have had this knot that feels like my muscle has been put through the meat grinder, just really raw and tender. I have gotten massages and use my TENS unit on it and a heating pad every night. The feeling will go away, but only temporarily. I will be sleeping or just sitting in a relaxed position and spontaneously it will build right back up again with no stimulus. It also lead me to have another small injury near the insertion of my posterior deltoid specifically when jerking overhead, I could clean, snatch, do pull ups, and pushups, anything else was fine but every time I would jerk it would sting and then radiate into my tricep, it was inflamed and pushing on a nerve.

I was put on a squat cycle and after 20 days of no overhead work the pain in my deltoid is gone but the tightness in my shoulder blade remains. It prevents me from standing with good posture it feels like there is a big ball under my shoulder blade near my spine when I push my shoulders back. It also hurts to inhale completely. It mostly affects my everyday life: sleeping, doing the dishes, when I'm at work preparing charts I keep my back straight but that slight neck tilt down agitates after a while. I haven't been able to find a position of comfort for months now.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Steven Low
04-22-2012, 04:37 PM
I would suggest getting yourself to a physical therapist if you can.

Typically, if you have continually building up trigger points or tight spots that means something is off. If the steps you have taken, massage, TENS, etc. aren't fixing the issue then it's somewhere else.

The muscles typically knot up becaues they sense your shoulders are unstable or possibly avoiding pain -- thus there may be some other issues that need to get taken care of simultaneously with that.