PDA

View Full Version : Hyperextended elbow

Eric Montgomery
04-21-2012, 08:12 AM
Anyone ever dealt with one of these? I bent mine in the wrong direction making a tackle in a rugby game last weekend but still had four more games to play, so I had the medical tent tape it up into a soft cast with about a 45 degree bend. It was pretty much pain-free once it was immobilized, but a week later I still can't fully extend it or do any pulling or pushing. The guy who taped it said about all I could do was rest and ice it and take anti-inflammatories, but I'm a little hesitant to do much much pill-popping given that I'm still able to squat.

I've got an appointment with the doc on Monday who will most likely send me over to the ortho for some kind of PT, but I wanted to see if anyone else had experience working through this kind of injury.

Steven Low
04-21-2012, 02:32 PM
It was immobilized for a week?

Unless you like dislocated it something there's no reason to have it immobilized that long and will actually give you more trouble rehabbing it back to normal.

Muscles, connective tissue, etc have adaptively shortened and likely atrophied too and you'll have to do a lot of strengthening, stretching, range of motion, etc. work to get everything back.

Eric Montgomery
04-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Nah it was wrapped up in a soft cast for about 3 hours on Saturday then another 6 on Sunday. It's been unwrapped since then, it just gives me pain once it gets within about 10 degrees from full extension or when I try to go to full flexion (no load for both flexion and extension).

Steven Low
04-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Keep working non-painful mobility.

If there's any trigger points or tight muscles see if massage can help.

Light stretching is probably OK too if the pain doesn't worsen, especially after the stretch is relieved.

Eric Montgomery
04-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Sounds good, I have noticed a few trigger points on muscles surrounding the joint that would probably benefit from some lax ball rolling.

What's your opinion on naproxen or other NSAIDs for the pain and inflammation given that I'm still able to do some safety bar squatting? Obviously I've read what K-Star and others have to say about the downsides of using NSAIDs for soreness, so I don't know about the tradeoff of using NSAIDs for my elbow while still trying to get stronger on the things I can still do.

Steven Low
04-22-2012, 04:31 PM
I've read some studies that show that NSAIDs don't have an effect on soreness and muscle growth. But that's neither here nor there.

NSAIDs are fine when there is excessive inflammation from an injury. If there's really severe damage you may be able to use them effectively still most likely.

Ben Norris
04-22-2012, 11:11 PM
Sounds good, I have noticed a few trigger points on muscles surrounding the joint that would probably benefit from some lax ball rolling.

What's your opinion on naproxen or other NSAIDs for the pain and inflammation given that I'm still able to do some safety bar squatting? Obviously I've read what K-Star and others have to say about the downsides of using NSAIDs for soreness, so I don't know about the tradeoff of using NSAIDs for my elbow while still trying to get stronger on the things I can still do.

Eric after the good advice you have given me I thought I would return some

Look at Mobility WOD about muscle flossing. KStar seems to swear by it for elbow injuries.