PDA

View Full Version : X-ray shows lumbar curve

Alix James
04-13-2012, 03:23 AM
Always kind of struggled with hip flexibility, I have almost zero internal hip rotation, and get impingement early on when my knee starts coming into my chest and bought across my body.

Have built up to over over a 2x BW back squats and a 2.5x BW deadlift, but always felt Im missing something around my hips. My hip flexors are like concrete in a couch stretch position. Even with these squat and DL numbers my hamstring strength is shocking, with cramping if I attempt a GHR. I have started building up volume of these band assisted and it is helping. Following a westside style program at the moment so getting some regular work for my hamstrings.

Had an xray to see what was going on in my hip, I was expecting some kind of abnormality around my hip capsule/head of femur but the chiro thought that looked fine. There is a 16 degree curve to the left in my lumbar spine and and excessive curve (APT) when viewed from the side. No degeneration of discs she said from the side view and no bone spurs forming etc.

Wondering how I should tackle this to try and get my pelvis realigned?

Having some shoulder issues of late also which a tight t-spine and pec minor isnt helping.

Ive recently done a course of Rolfing which I dont feel a great deal of benefit from. Have done 2 chiro visits, she makes a couple of adjustments, taps me with what feels like a staple gun and then plugs me into a electonic stimulation gadget for 15 mins.

I believe I need some agressive psoas stretching/release but wondering if Steven Low or anyone else has some advice based on the x-ray.

Regards, Alix

Megan Zetter
04-13-2012, 06:55 AM
You have a lumbar scoliosis. So the next question is if it is anatomical or functional. Functional meaning is it there as a compensation? Typically the compensation is for a leg length difference. A CT scan would be the best way to evaluate your leg length. Also, that x-ray is not a hip study; you cannot visualize the entire femoral head on the right, among other issues. Are there other hip films? If you are having hip problems it might be worth getting a hip series if you did not already.

Adjusting your back and hooking you up to e-stim is not going to do much for you. I suggest you find a practitioner who will treat this properly.

Alix James
04-13-2012, 07:41 AM
Thanks Megan.

That was my thought too. The only other view that I have is a side xray.

We are very limited over in HK, I dont believe there are any ART therapists here, just googled and found a graston place.

So you advise I go and get a CT scan, all sounds a little scary :(

Steven Low
04-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Any good physical therapists over there?

Alix James
04-13-2012, 08:45 AM
To be honest I don't know I havent first hand experience with many. Of course always have clients recommending people but not really that sure where to start without just picking one.

This guy is spoken highly of..

http://www.balancehealth.com.hk/therapists/detail/PhilipClarke/

Sean Rockett
04-13-2012, 07:11 PM
To be honest I don't know I havent first hand experience with many. Of course always have clients recommending people but not really that sure where to start without just picking one.

This guy is spoken highly of..

http://www.balancehealth.com.hk/therapists/detail/PhilipClarke/

looks like there is some arthritic change on your left hip, which can give you loss of motion. a good physical exam can pick up leg length discrepancy and its cause- whether it is true (legs actually longer) or apparent (your pelvis being tilted from scoliosis)

Alix James
04-14-2012, 01:55 AM
Sean, is it the heavier whiter colour on that hip that is saying that to you?

All this talk of spine twisting / arthiritis etc is pretty worrying, I'm 28 :( Will get it looked at asap

Sean Rockett
04-14-2012, 04:33 AM
Sean, is it the heavier whiter colour on that hip that is saying that to you?

All this talk of spine twisting / arthiritis etc is pretty worrying, I'm 28 :( Will get it looked at asap

there is some narrowing of the hip joint space with a bump on the femoral head or ball of the hip

Elizabeth Hall
04-14-2012, 05:56 AM
Alix, I have an S curve in my lumbar area. I've seen a chiro for years and it honestly hasn't fixed it. My legs are only 1/2 inch different, so it's definately a hip issue. Good luck!

Megan Zetter
04-14-2012, 08:06 AM
Another comment regarding the poor quality of the film is the fact there is no shield for your reproductive organ, nor is there any defined margins. And if this is a hip series there is no reason that the thoracic spine should be included. Whomever took this needs to revisit his radiographic technique notes. And you need to find a new doctor.

Jeffrey Sanders
04-14-2012, 08:12 AM
Don't waste your time on Chiropractors. They are a joke. A few pops will not change the position of your bones. Chiropractors are the magicians of the 21st century, people just keep going back for the same problem (makes for good business!). Your bones are where they are, you cannot change that. Like a previous poster suggested, look into a PT, they should be able to help you more with flexibility as well as strengthening supporting muscles.

Megan Zetter
04-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Don't waste your time on Chiropractors. They are a joke. A few pops will not change the position of your bones. Chiropractors are the magicians of the 21st century, people just keep going back for the same problem (makes for good business!). Your bones are where they are, you cannot change that. Like a previous poster suggested, look into a PT, they should be able to help you more with flexibility as well as strengthening supporting muscles.

That is a very ignorant and offensive comment. There are a number of very knowledgeable chiropractors that contribute to this forum. As well as many posters who have benefited from chiropractic care.

Sean Rockett
04-14-2012, 08:26 PM

Both realms of health care have a lot to offer, let's not be derogatory and keep it professional. Sean

Alix James
04-15-2012, 04:09 AM
I'm going to go and see a well recommended Chiro tomorrow and also a PT later on in the week, I will see what advice they both give and then see where to take it.

I will keep the thread updated :shrug:

Jeffrey Sanders
04-15-2012, 09:40 AM
That is a very ignorant and offensive comment. There are a number of very knowledgeable chiropractors that contribute to this forum. As well as many posters who have benefited from chiropractic care.

Please explain the ignorance in my comment. You are discussing fixing scoliosis with back cracking... Really? Wow!

Megan Zetter
04-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Please explain the ignorance in my comment. You are discussing fixing scoliosis with back cracking... Really? Wow!

I did not say anything to that suggest that (see my 1st post). I suggested he may have a leg length difference, hence the scoliosis. Or perhaps this is an anatomical defect, ie he was born this way. Neither of which will "back cracking" resolve. However, if joints are not moving correctly, muscular compensations take place which cascades into many issues elsewhere in the body. Many of which a good chiropractor will address.

Your ignorance lies in the fact that many other health care practitioners utilize and see the benefit of manipulation of joints. PT's, DO's and ND's often manipulate joints.

There are some chiropractors that believe manipulation is all that someone needs and while I can see that your beliefs may be seated in that small group of DC's, most chiropractors address the entire musculoskeletal system utilizing rehab, muscle work/massage techniques, nutrition, ergonomic advice, stress reduction, etc, and referral to other health care providers as needed.

Steven Low
04-15-2012, 08:50 PM
Yep agreed.

It pretty much doesn't matter what profession is as long as you find someone who is GOOD.

Though, in general, if you have certain issues and you are unsure if people in your area are good or not you may go to a certain group of professions over the other as they would likely have more experience with a particular injury than another

Alix James
04-16-2012, 12:03 AM
Got an appointment with a good chiro in about an hour.

Really bad timing I guess, but I have excrutiating pain today and have had to leave the gym and go home. My mid back/lats/serratus/obliques are giving me a real hard time, had to get assistant to get off a sofa earlier this morning. I have had a niggle for a few days, I thought I may have caused it via doing sled pull throughs at the end of last week, thats only the really new thing I have introduced recently.

Was due to train today and about 3-4 sets into my good morning warmups I got a sharp pain shoot around my rib cage so I called the session off. Having difficulty breathing in and out and even simple movements are giving me a problem. Pretty sure this is totally unrelated but its not gonna look good walking into the chiro and convincing him I had not had a back issue in over 10 years of training :s

Alix James
04-16-2012, 04:57 AM
Back from the appointment, expensive session but he was very infomative, he took me through both x-rays, on the side view he showed me I think it was L4 an issue... 'Scotty Dog' analogy - and it had the collar thing going on. He didnt seem that worried about that.

He identified my problem being at the L3-L4 junction predominantly. When immediately lying down on the table he pointed out my left leg was about 5mm longer than the right, he then did some hip mobility movements, forgot the name of what he called it, but was for checking flexion (limited on me - by capusle he says), abduction, extension and external rotation..ending in a figure 4 postion. Generally he said my hips had good feel. Once he had done this twice on each hip, my leg length was equal. He indicated this meant it was a functional issue over an anatomical one.

He checked some toe touchs, bends etc. He said I have issue mainly with my QL, especially on the right side, and he sees this as one of the areas I need to work on the most. He used a traction table thing and worked my back through some positions that felt nice. He also did a couple of manual manipulations.

The problem I have today hasnt really cleared, Im expecting that to ease over the next few days as I think its related to the pull throughs but it is making breathing and even small movements difficult. I'll ice it tonight and see how it is for the 4am wake up. Recently been trying to sleep on my back to position my shoulders better so not sure if that is helping either.

He said to give 4 sessions a go with him and they reassess it.

Steven Low
04-16-2012, 01:23 PM
4 sessions seems reasonable.

You typically should see some improvement in about 2 weeks if he's hitting the right stuff