PDA

View Full Version : Bad shin injury doing plywood box jumps

Brandon Erickson
04-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Yesterday I was doing a WOD that included 15 box jumps (5 rounds, 75 total jumps) on a 30" tall box constructed of plywood. During the 4th round, as I was getting tired, I missed the box. On the way down my shin scraped the edge of the box. All of the soft tissue on my shin, from the point of impact and for about 5 inches above, were pulled away from the bone and accumulated into a "pile" at the top of my shin, below my knee. The bone was exposed where the tissue was ripped away. I drove myself to the ER, bleeding badly along the way, and got 23 stitches.

Has anyone else had a bad injury doing box jumps? I did this WOD at a box I don't normally visit. At my regular box we do box jumps using a tractor tire that is 23" tall. The lower height is better, but the rubber, rather than sharp wood edges, is what makes that a better option. No more tall plywood box jumps for me.

Sean Rockett
04-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Yesterday I was doing a WOD that included 15 box jumps (5 rounds, 75 total jumps) on a 30" tall box constructed of plywood. During the 4th round, as I was getting tired, I missed the box. On the way down my shin scraped the edge of the box. All of the soft tissue on my shin, from the point of impact and for about 5 inches above, were pulled away from the bone and accumulated into a "pile" at the top of my shin, below my knee. The bone was exposed where the tissue was ripped away. I drove myself to the ER, bleeding badly along the way, and got 23 stitches.

Has anyone else had a bad injury doing box jumps? I did this WOD at a box I don't normally visit. At my regular box we do box jumps using a tractor tire that is 23" tall. The lower height is better, but the rubber, rather than sharp wood edges, is what makes that a better option. No more tall plywood box jumps for me.

I have seen a few of these injuries at the box and in the office but this one sounds like it takes the cake

Mike Wazowski
04-10-2012, 10:35 PM
This is why I always use spotting blocks. Never understood jumping on hard boxes, especially for higher reps. Maybe I am not hardcore enough.

Brandon Erickson
04-12-2012, 04:55 PM
This is why I always use spotting blocks. Never understood jumping on hard boxes, especially for higher reps. Maybe I am not hardcore enough.

What are spotting blocks?

Mike Wazowski
04-12-2012, 05:45 PM
See, for example, here (http://www.matsmatsmats.com/gymnastics/props/spot-block.html) (WFS). I use one tall block and then stack up thinner mats on top as I progress. Those are quite expensive but considering the alternative they are still a bargain.

Brian Strump
04-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Actually I think paying for all the members stitches would be less than dropping $500ea at an affiliate.

See, for example, here (http://www.matsmatsmats.com/gymnastics/props/spot-block.html) (WFS). I use one tall block and then stack up thinner mats on top as I progress. Those are quite expensive but considering the alternative they are still a bargain.

Rebecca Roth
04-12-2012, 06:41 PM
I drove myself to the ER, bleeding badly along the way, and got 23 stitches.

The fact that you drove yourself is pretty messed up, but otherwise, mine was similar. Could have been a lot worse, exposed bone and tendon, 11 stitches. Don't click if you're squeamish.

Brandon Erickson
04-12-2012, 08:22 PM
The fact that you drove yourself is pretty messed up, but otherwise, mine was similar. Could have been a lot worse, exposed bone and tendon, 11 stitches. Don't click if you're squeamish.

Here's what my shin looked like after the stitches.

Mike Wazowski
04-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Holy smoke! :D

Sean Rockett
04-13-2012, 07:01 PM
V for victory!

Bryan Rowland
04-13-2012, 08:28 PM
That looks like it will be a good place for a tattoo after you heal of course.

Michael Kelley
04-14-2012, 07:22 AM
Why cover up a kick-*** scar with a tattoo?!?!

Brandon Erickson
04-14-2012, 03:48 PM
:)V for victory!

It gives me some CrossFit street cred!

Stephanie Grover
09-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Hey! My shin splits open just like yours! Only mine is a lower case 'v' instead . . . probably b/c I was only doing 20" box jumps and I did not exert as much force as you did. Am somewhat consoled to know I'm not the only person out there that has had this happen. Now that it has been a few months for you - how long did it take you to heal completely? How much time did you take off from crossfit/physical activity? Did you go through a period of discouragement? I have only been doing crossfit for 4 months. It has planted the seed of doubt. (Insert Debbie Downer sound here)

Steve M Herman
10-02-2012, 11:53 AM
I've heard this is one of the most common injuries at CF gyms.

Stephanie Grover
10-14-2012, 10:43 AM
Thanks! I'm learning how common and yet preventable it can be. I am seriously thinking of wearing shin guards for the next time I do box jumps. Also, going to be more selective about the box I attempt to jump. If the edges are sharp or jagged; I'll pass. (Did you guys get tetanus shots and antibiotics as well when you had your injuries?) The nurse practitioner really took good care of me; even down to the type of stitch he used to minimize scarring. So, I got the stitches off in 10 days; and stayed out of the box that whole time. Since I lost skin and he had to stretch it down to close the gap; I didn't want to risk rupturing those stitches. It has been almost 3 weeks and it has healed very nicely. Almost looks like a surface wound now instead of a big gash down to the fascia. My only orders were to prevent further trauma to that area! :) In the end; it's just another scar to add to my fairly abundant collection!

Steven Mooso
10-21-2012, 05:44 AM
This is why i wanna design shin guards for crossfit !! The soccer shin guards i found are too small and don't sit in the correct spot to always prevent this...but they are worth a try !!

Stephanie Grover
10-22-2012, 08:39 AM
I will be first in line to buy a pair if you do! Great idea!

Jesse Lunin-Pack
10-22-2012, 11:29 AM
I am becoming known at my box at the guy with the bloody shins.

Seriously, I first ripped my shins open box jumping almost six months ago. Every time it almost heals, I seem to rip it open again. Sometimes it's box jumping, sometimes it's something even dumber. Just today I tripped over a kettlebell and ripped it open again.

My coaches and I have agreed that it's just not worth it for me to attempt 30 inch box jumps anymore. And anytime I touch a barbell I wrap my shin in an Ace bandage with some sort of hard protection under it.

I guess my point is, you're all not alone, and I'd buy a CrossFit designed shin guard in an instant!

Aaron Wayne Campbell
10-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Ouch!!! Also try just stacking bumper plates, much smoother. Or soccer style shin guards?

Shane Cox
10-25-2012, 07:08 AM

Impressive!

Stuart Carraway
10-25-2012, 10:15 AM
I have had two sets of stitches in the same place from 30+in boxjumps and deadlift WOD. I had seven the first time and eight in the same spot about 5 months later. Had to buy shinguards on advice from the doctor. When you wear socks pull the socks over the guard, it should hold them in place. Or, you can tape them (just not to tight).

Brendan McNamar
10-25-2012, 10:49 AM
I would like to insert a little plug for common sense.

I give a big speech every time we are going to be doing regular 24/20 box jumps in a high heart rate, out of breath situations. I remind everyone what is simple at resting heart rate is not always so simple when out of breath.

As we have seen from the pictures the consequences of a badly missed box jump is high. I always encourage my members to think in term of risk to reward. Is the risk of a smashed shin justifiable in a effort to get a slightly faster time? I doubt it unless you're a games competitor.

I'm fine with shin guards for those who need to protect previously damaged spots, for everyone else better to stay under control then need to protect yourself from the results of loosing control.

Sean Dunston
10-26-2012, 09:39 AM
that is by far the worst box jump injury I have ever seen.
:yikes:
Sorry about that.

Rachel Baratz
10-26-2012, 10:05 AM
I would like to insert a little plug for common sense.

I give a big speech every time we are going to be doing regular 24/20 box jumps in a high heart rate, out of breath situations. I remind everyone what is simple at resting heart rate is not always so simple when out of breath.

As we have seen from the pictures the consequences of a badly missed box jump is high. I always encourage my members to think in term of risk to reward. Is the risk of a smashed shin justifiable in a effort to get a slightly faster time? I doubt it unless you're a games competitor.

I'm fine with shin guards for those who need to protect previously damaged spots, for everyone else better to stay under control then need to protect yourself from the results of loosing control.

I could not agree with you more. Box jumps are just not something I find to have a great risk:benefit ratio. This is also the reason why I step down from box jumps rather than "rep" them. I've seen a few torn achiles in very conditioned Crossfit athletes...it's just not worth it.

Mike Whitehead
10-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Here was mine from awhile back. More of a crush injury that a peel back.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=74153

Sue DeMaria
10-29-2012, 02:08 PM
I could not agree with you more. Box jumps are just not something I find to have a great risk:benefit ratio. This is also the reason why I step down from box jumps rather than "rep" them. I've seen a few torn achiles in very conditioned Crossfit athletes...it's just not worth it.

I totally agree with what you said and would add that you must warm up well. In a hurry one day, without a complete warmup I attacked the WOD and missed the box, landed on my shin at an angle with full body force weight (130lbs). Here's what that looked like. Just not worth it!

Stephanie Grover
10-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Santa Maria, Sue DiMaria!!! That one takes the cake!
As a newbie (5 months into Crossfit) I am learning so much. I can improve my technique (absorb the impact before landing on the box); and don't rush that jump! For now, while my shin is still healing, I have elected to just step up on the box.
Now here is a question: if we are jumping to a point of fatigue; why do we risk the fall upon a hard edge surface? Why do we not use boxes with rubber edges or padding? This was the question my husband asked me after I came home with my 9 stitches. Probably because he knows I'm not a 'seasoned athlete' and wonders if I have any business doing these. :o

Doug Lantz
11-30-2012, 01:07 PM
I got mine trying to jump on top of a block wall, right foot was just short.
I had a mouth just below my kneecap.

Doc said "hopefully you didn't injure your patellar tendon, if so you'll probably need surgery"
That was the scariest thing I've ever heard in a doctors office.
Even more so since I didn't have medical insurance at the time.

Ended up costing me $400, the rest of my day, pain, 12 stitches, 3 office visits and a lecture from my partner.

I made a hurdle out of PVC pipe for jumps, has anyone else tried that option ?

Karen Barnes
02-09-2013, 02:08 PM

I just did this the other day doing burpee box jump overs with a 20" box. Ripped the skin off same V shape, down to the bone, 14 stitches in left leg and 4 in the right. I do these exercises regularly but I am afraid (maybe it's bc I am a girl) that I will never have the courage to jump on anything higher than an 18" and I will never get over the box again... Any suggestions on overcoming that fear???

Holly Marolf
02-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Wow. I'm scared on my box now lol

Jesse Martin
02-15-2013, 07:42 PM
I have seen a few of these injuries at the box and in the office but this one sounds like it takes the cake

What kind of office you work at?

Sean Rockett
02-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Orthopedic surgery

Stephanie Grover
02-19-2013, 11:20 AM
I do these exercises regularly but I am afraid (maybe it's bc I am a girl) that I will never have the courage to jump on anything higher than an 18" and I will never get over the box again... Any suggestions on overcoming that fear???

I eased back into box jumps by stacking the rubber bumper plates to a height I thought I could manage. I increased rather quickly with the courage knowing that if I stumbled, the edges were rubber and round and would be more forgiving. Once I got back up to a respectable height (20-24" depending on qty of jumps); I felt confident enough to jump on the box again. NOBODY in the box looked down their nose at me while I did this; but if they had; I would have flashed them my V shaped scar and told them to back off!

A Favorite Quote: "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. " -Confucius

I wish you strength and courage Karen!

Sam Kraus
02-23-2013, 09:45 AM
V for victory!

Ha! Thanks for the laugh. I'm in the ER waiting for stitches from a box jump mishap. Mine won't be a V. It'll look more like the number one, first place for dumbass klutz :/

Christopher Morris
02-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Rounded or rubber corners, people, please!

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=80512 (wfs)