PDA

View Full Version : Pulled/torn muscle --> Ice or heat, among other healing methods?

Daniel Frankel
04-09-2012, 06:15 PM
I have either a very minor tear in my gluteus maximus, or I just pulled it. I have a competition on Sunday that I really would like to still compete in.

Should I be icing or heating the injury? Why one over the other?

Anything else? I am taking 3200mg of fish oil a day for both cholesterol and recovery.

I look forward to hearing people's thoughts.

- Daniel

Steven Low
04-09-2012, 07:46 PM
wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/01/on-muscle-strains/

If it's small, ice for the first couple days then likely heat.

If it bothers you I would skip the competition.

Daniel Frankel
04-09-2012, 08:04 PM
If it's small, ice for the first couple days then likely heat.

I don't think its inflammed. Should I just heat then? Say 15 mins on, 45 mins off?

Steven Low
04-09-2012, 09:25 PM
That should be fine.

Though, if you tweaked it there is usually inflammation there whether you can sense it or not.

Daniel Frankel
04-09-2012, 09:46 PM
That should be fine.

Though, if you tweaked it there is usually inflammation there whether you can sense it or not.

After reading your article, I figured as such and decided to ice first.

Thanks for the information, its greatly appreciated. :)

Joey Shishineh
04-10-2012, 04:40 PM
heat before to loosen it up. Ice right after even if it isn't sore to prevent inflammation.

Mike Hopper
04-10-2012, 05:45 PM
heat before to loosen it up. Ice right after even if it isn't sore to prevent inflammation.

Inflammation is a part of the recovery process. It is a necessary thing so we don't want to "prevent inflammation."

Steven Low
04-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Inflammation is a part of the recovery process. It is a necessary thing so we don't want to "prevent inflammation."
Yep.

Don't want to prevent inflammation unless there's excessive amounts.

Though, ibuprofen hasn't been shown to negatively affect muscle gains so ice probably wouldn't exert as strong of an anti-inflammatory effect as pharmaceuticals.

So pretty much ice is fine in either case (though the reasoning is different).

Mike Hopper
04-10-2012, 08:16 PM
^^^

I would agree. When it doubt, put some ice on it!

Just point out that "prevention" isn't the key; "managing" is..