PDA

View Full Version : Recovering from Lower Back Injury

Sam Miller
04-09-2012, 04:09 AM
In December of 2010 I felt a pinch in my lumbar spine whilst doing a 32KG Kettlebell swing. It came and went over the next year but nothing bad or long term until the end of 2011 when I had it checked. The most conclusive result I have is that I may have minor tears through the L4/L5.

I've made two attempts at returning to Crossfit since then and both times I've had to stop due to aggravating the injury again. I've got the L1 Coach's course coming up this weekend and will probably have to scale the WODs back. Long term though, I need rehabilitate and protect it long term without reinjuring it in the process.

My preliminary plan is to avoid anything that combines lumbar flexion/extension with high-reps or high-weight. To rebuild the musculature I've lost over 8 months of very limited training I'm following Chris Mason's modified conjugate program and will fill the rest of the days with a mixture of x-country walking/running and bodyweight WODs that avoid high-reps and lumbar flexion extension.

Would love some advice from those out there who have recovered from lower back injuries in the past whether I'm heading in the right/wrong direction. Or what that might look like.

Cheers!

Jack Davis
04-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Sam,

I was in the same boat about a year ago. I took a whole month off then started back with body weight wods with scaled reps or rounds. Along with that I bought a TRX ( not a comercial, just worked for me. Liked the support) and did there whole body routines mixed with CF wods (Still Scaled)

Did not do an Rx'd wod until the Open. Finished 352 in the 50-54 Masters group.

Now back to Rx'd wods

It takes time, listen to your body.

Steven Low
04-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Take it slow. 5-10% increases per week starting out under 30-40% 1 RM.

Keep doing mobility work

Bryan Rowland
04-09-2012, 05:57 PM
I had a L4L5 injury last year. I attempted to run it out and found myself taking sometime off. Like you said build that area back up dont go heavy there is time down the road for pr's. Good luck with healing and dont get frustrated it happens to everyone at one time or another.