PDA

View Full Version : Nerve Flossing

John Powell
04-03-2012, 07:48 AM
Just wondering what type/how quickly I should expect results from doing nerve flossing exercises.
I have been following a back treatment program (Stuart McGill) for about 2.5 weeks and have noticed a significant improvement in symptoms. My leg (sciatic) pain has decreased tremendously, but I still get it when sitting and a few other times a day, but the pain doesn't linger anymore, and typically doesn't last longer than 10 or 15 minutes.

2 days ago I started doing the nerve flossing exercise that McGill recommends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4okiuznHsAc (WFS)

My leg pain has gotten "slightly" worse since starting these, although nowhere near as bad as it was. I can feel a bit of lingering pain (maybe a 2-3 out of 10, where before it was constantly a 6 or 7)) This tells me that there is abviously a problem with the nerve movement and my instincts tell me to keep up with these in hopes that it will inmprove.

However, I have also heard that if there is any worsening of symptoms, I should stop. Has anyone had similar experiences where symptoms worsen before getting better?

Joey Shishineh
04-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Just wondering what type/how quickly I should expect results from doing nerve flossing exercises.
I have been following a back treatment program (Stuart McGill) for about 2.5 weeks and have noticed a significant improvement in symptoms. My leg (sciatic) pain has decreased tremendously, but I still get it when sitting and a few other times a day, but the pain doesn't linger anymore, and typically doesn't last longer than 10 or 15 minutes.

2 days ago I started doing the nerve flossing exercise that McGill recommends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4okiuznHsAc (WFS)

My leg pain has gotten "slightly" worse since starting these, although nowhere near as bad as it was. I can feel a bit of lingering pain (maybe a 2-3 out of 10, where before it was constantly a 6 or 7)) This tells me that there is abviously a problem with the nerve movement and my instincts tell me to keep up with these in hopes that it will inmprove.

However, I have also heard that if there is any worsening of symptoms, I should stop. Has anyone had similar experiences where symptoms worsen before getting better?

check out Mobility WOD (http://mobilitywod.com) (WFS). Kstar goes through a lot of nerve flossing on there. He ALWAYS says that if something hurts or goes numb, you should stop. There is a difference between working out a knot in your muscle and a 'pain' from an injury...Maybe go to a doc or pt to get everything checked out...

Steven Low
04-03-2012, 10:41 AM
You should not go into symptoms when you are neural flossing or gliding. Just on the edge of symptoms.

Also, if neural gliding/flossing is NOT helping then don't do it.

Sometimes the obvious thing is the answer. You may not have a neural issue that needs to be addressed, and if it's making it worse then there's no reason to do keep doing it.

You should see some noticable improvements within a couple weeks with neural gliding. No reaon to do it if it's making things work.