PDA

View Full Version : My Rhabdo experience and strength loss

Davey Thai
03-28-2012, 12:24 AM
I have been Crossfitting for almost 3 years. I first started out on my own, then did a lot in the academy, and finally joined a Crossfit Affiliate. I'm 5'8" 180. I WOD regularly, maybe 4 or 5 days out of a 7day week.

About a month ago, we did a workout at my affiliate, AMRAP, 6 burpees, 12 GHD, 18 air squats, with 90 sec rest between rounds

Naturally, since I had that giant rest, I went all out. I wasn't too familiar with GHDs and didn't listen to the advice of my coach to sub abmat sit-ups instead. I wasn't as sore as I thought I'd be the next day, so I thought I beat it! Went back for another WOD the next day (3RFT, 6 wall walk ups, 12 DL (245#), 400m run). Ab soreness was delayed and I was out for the next 5 days and was in the usual pain we all read about in this forum. I may have gotten a minor case of rhabdo then, but who knows?

So I came back 5 days later to WOD again and my abs were still in pain, but I WOD'd anyway. I did, 1 mile run, 100 pull-ups, 200 pushups, 100 sit-ups, 1 mile run, unpartitioned. Came back again and did 100 OHS with 10 toes to bar every time you drop the bar.

I had T-rex arms, couldn't extend and definitely could not bend. My triceps and chest were torn apart. Went to the ER, they said my CPK levels were at 4000-5000. Didn't admit me overnight because I wasn't peeing coca-cola.

I took 2 weeks off and have now since returned to my regular WOD schedule. It is now about 1 month and a half since my rhabdo. I lost a lot, if not all, of my overhead/pressing strength. I have trouble doing body weight ring dips (max was 80lbs). My old PR clean & jerk was 195, now I have trouble jerking 165.

I'm sure other people have lost a lot of strength from rhabdo. I'm wondering who much longer do I have to live with this nightmare of realizing how much more I could be lifting. Any ideas?

Ryan Hoegner
03-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Moral of the story: listen to your coach.

I've talked "fit" people out of GHD situps too many times to count.

Glad you are ok!

Sean Rockett
03-29-2012, 08:44 PM
It varies for everyone depending on severity, I.e. Dialysis needed vs. IV fluids.

Steven Low
03-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Will probably take a couple weeks to normalize, and then 2-3 months to regain strength.

I would not suggest any significant metabolic workouts...