PDA

View Full Version : Protecting your Knees?

Rob Brown
03-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Hi guys,
I'm rolling up on my one year anniversary (43yo), and I'm smashing PR's with the pressure/excitement of great coaches and the open. As I go heavier and heavier I'm uncovering unseen weaknesses in form and mobility that I work diligently to improve. Most recent is a general 'heat' in my knees after some wods. ..nothing bad, but I can tell that I need to keep vigil before something happens. I currently take fish oil. ..I 'try' to keep my knees out in squats.. I 'try' to bend from my hips over my knees when appropriate.. but my coaches key in on it, so I know there is still room to improve.

What other tips do you all have to prevent knee issues?

Jake Kozlowski
03-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Diet and barefoot style running are the two things that changed my knees for the better. By diet, I mean the elimination of grains and dairy.

Marcus Allen
03-27-2012, 12:07 PM
How much mobility work do you do compared to time spent WODing?

I'm 40 and I can usually tell within a few days if I've been slacking on the stretching and dynamic mobility work.

Try adding 5-10 Sun Salutation sequences after waking and before bed. That's maybe 5 minutes per session.

Look in to Ido Portale as well, does some great mobility sequences.

Brian Strump
03-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Look above----Improve mobility or stability of hips, if needed.

Look below-----Work on ankle mobility.

2 huge culprits of knee complaints.

Whats up Jake!

Rob Brown
03-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Diet and barefoot style running are the two things that changed my knees for the better. By diet, I mean the elimination of grains and dairy.
Excellent, already on this.
How much mobility work do you do compared to time spent WODing?

I'm 40 and I can usually tell within a few days if I've been slacking on the stretching and dynamic mobility work.

Try adding 5-10 Sun Salutation sequences after waking and before bed. That's maybe 5 minutes per session.

Look in to Ido Portale as well, does some great mobility sequences.
Ahh cool. So the idea is that binding mobility, is forcing more to my knees? I mobility for 7-10 mins before WoD's but that's it.. That includes shoulders. Not a ton of hips.. hmmm. It looks like it's time to mob more often at home.
Look above----Improve mobility or stability of hips, if needed.
Look below-----Work on ankle mobility.
2 huge culprits of knee complaints.
Whats up Jake!
Funny you say that, ankles are showing up as another weak spot now too. I experience a bit of pain in dorsiflexion on one ankle. I have to take special care when landing.

Thanks for the tips, going to watch some mobility stuff.

Rob Brown
03-28-2012, 07:44 PM
.... figures

The day after I ask.

Doing front squats, 21, 15, 9, 6 reps @ #95, kinda heavy for me.. rep #26 I feel sharp heat on the left side of the right knee. Was watching my form, was working on keeping my knees out, but was at the point of a little bit of wobble. Go to pick up the bar, and the sensation gets hot, and spikes across the center of my knee. I release the bar, feels fine. Go to grab it for a second try, warm spike... fug.

I stopped, knee under ice now, and feels fine while walking, standing sitting... reading about knee pain now.

:thumbs_do

Marcus Allen
03-29-2012, 07:49 AM
Here's the thing- you're a guy, so you probably have tight hamstrings. If you did any sort of squating above parallel prior to CF, you're probably also quad dominant. That's bad for your knees.

The problem is, it is very difficult to only fix one spot. Tight hammies=tight calves/ankles and tight hips. Tight hips=tight low back and tight shoulders.

7-10 min pre WOD is nothing. I would guess you need 2 or 3 15 minute sessions EVERY DAY. Start simple, pick like 5 static stretches for post WOD and rest days and hold each position for 2 minutes.

For pre wod try the Catalyst Athletics warm up. It takes about 10-15 minutes depending on reps and includes a monostructural warm up(running or rowing).

Rob Brown
03-29-2012, 08:24 AM
Here's the thing- you're a guy, so you probably have tight hamstrings. If you did any sort of squating above parallel prior to CF, you're probably also quad dominant. That's bad for your knees.

Totally.. thanks for the hard core input. I got myself a little project now and will work on your suggestions.

Going to the doc this morning to make sure whatever the pain was will not be exacerbated with further wodding.

Damn, I feel for anyone who suffers injuries.

Alden Hingle
03-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Rob - I didn't see anyone mention Kelly Starrett's blog at mobilityWOD.com. (WFS) Lots of good ideas there for various stretches. Also has a good search function so that you can search for stretching ideas for your problem areas.

Steven Low also has good info on sitting, shoes and lower body dysfunction on his website at:
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions/ (wfs)

Some good evaluation criteria in that article to help you assess where you need flexibility work on your lower half.

Good luck with the knee.

Rob Brown
03-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Rob - I didn't see anyone mention Kelly Starrett's blog at mobilityWOD.com. (WFS) Lots of good ideas there for various stretches.

Steven Low also has good info on sitting, shoes and lower body dysfunction on his website at:
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions/ (wfs)

Good luck with the knee.

Love Kelly's blog, checking out Steves now, thanks!

Went to the sports doc. His opinion is poor mobility caused minor ligaments to shift my knee cap during squats resulting in some pinching. Word is no real problems, continue wodding and improve mobility.. such a relief.

It's interesting, getting close to my 1 year anniversary has me in new territory. I've got relatively okay form, but the additional power is exposing leaks in my form that I though otherwise decent.

Time to double up on mobility, thanks for the links.

Alden Hingle
03-29-2012, 12:11 PM
It's interesting, getting close to my 1 year anniversary has me in new territory. I've got relatively okay form, but the additional power is exposing leaks in my form that I though otherwise decent.

Time to double up on mobility, thanks for the links.

Same thing happened to me. When my weight and power numbers started moving up, I started to find the movement flaws. Now I work on my mob every day.

Dan Thomas
03-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Same thing happened to me. When my weight and power numbers started moving up, I started to find the movement flaws. Now I work on my mob every day.

Same here. Got stronger, but that larger weight just seemed to magnify imperfections in my form. A little pinch here, a little twinge there... scary stuff. MobilityWOD has been a life saver, for me. OP, check out the 2nd blog post there, on page 79 (I think)... great hip stretch.

DT

Rob Ray
04-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Great thread! I just either tweaked my knee or pulled my calf; I keep feeling pressure behind my knee and it prevents it from fully flexing. It doesn't hurt per say (I can still squat) but it just feels a little weak. What's the general consensus on treatment; pressure and cold?

Stephan Giunta
04-02-2012, 08:06 PM
knee is affected by the whole front line.
Ankle freedom, peroneals, peroneal head, quads, hip mobility, both sacro iliac joint, psoas iliac and diaphragm,

lets not forget, pelvic floor and abdominals.
if that is covered your knees should be fine. and that is just the inferior triangle.

Steven Low
04-03-2012, 10:37 AM
Great thread! I just either tweaked my knee or pulled my calf; I keep feeling pressure behind my knee and it prevents it from fully flexing. It doesn't hurt per say (I can still squat) but it just feels a little weak. What's the general consensus on treatment; pressure and cold?

Need more information

Rob Ray
04-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Need more information

After some time searching through Mobility WOD, I think it may be me neglecting my iT-Band. I noticed it after running 1.5 miles to a box (was traveling), doing a WOD consisting of 7 thrusters on the minute for 12 minutes and then running another 1.5 miles back to my hotel. In general it feels like everything connected to the back of my knee is horrendously tight and I'm getting a little more popping than normal -- I know that's not anatomically correct, but that's how I would describe it. My knees and ankles tend to pop and it's led to a bad habit of "cracking" them like knuckles to loosen up. Even worse, they crack by internally rotating them... probably the absolute worst thing I could be doing.

After doing some stretches that were highlighted, it seems like the issue has been slightly addressed and I've now made it a conscious effort to avoid cracking my knees or ankles any more. :shrug:

Steven Low
04-03-2012, 08:00 PM
After some time searching through Mobility WOD, I think it may be me neglecting my iT-Band. I noticed it after running 1.5 miles to a box (was traveling), doing a WOD consisting of 7 thrusters on the minute for 12 minutes and then running another 1.5 miles back to my hotel. In general it feels like everything connected to the back of my knee is horrendously tight and I'm getting a little more popping than normal -- I know that's not anatomically correct, but that's how I would describe it. My knees and ankles tend to pop and it's led to a bad habit of "cracking" them like knuckles to loosen up. Even worse, they crack by internally rotating them... probably the absolute worst thing I could be doing.

After doing some stretches that were highlighted, it seems like the issue has been slightly addressed and I've now made it a conscious effort to avoid cracking my knees or ankles any more. :shrug:
Put your affected cross leg over your other leg, and massage your popliteus muscle to loosen it up....

Also maybe mobilize the head of your fibula but that's more advanced and I don't know if you have any experience with anatomy to figure out how to do that.

Sean Rockett
04-04-2012, 07:55 PM

could be biceps femoris tendonitis or lateral meniscal tear if it keeps up after rest and stretching see your doc

Daniel Pope
05-04-2012, 03:51 AM
Hey Rob!

Hope your knees are still holding up. I wrote a series of articles on preventing knee pain over the past few weeks. It has a bunch of ideas you can get started working on that would really help. Here's the link to the knee archive of my website.

http://fitnesspainfree.com/?page_id=10

The series is the 4 part that starts with the word Knee Pain.

Check it out and hope it helps sir!

Thanks,
Dan Pope