PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Shoulder

Mike Kelley
03-21-2012, 07:15 PM
One of my clients is trying to get her dad involved with CrossFit. The problem is, he's petrified to try anything because he has a frozen shoulder. Is this something that can be helped with lots of mobility or what?

Any advice or experiences are welcome!

Sean Rockett
03-21-2012, 07:24 PM
One of my clients is trying to get her dad involved with CrossFit. The problem is, he's petrified to try anything because he has a frozen shoulder. Is this something that can be helped with lots of mobility or what?

Any advice or experiences are welcome!

mobility is the key to the treatment of it, he will not be able to do a lot of things depending on how severely his range of motion is restricted, but he should definitely be stretching the shoulder.

go to my website www.orthopedicsne.com for PT protocols for frozen shoulder and it has an explanation of it.

Mike Kelley
03-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Cool. I see all of the stretches. What about some of the lacrosse ball or band stuff that Kelly Starrett uses?

Brian Strump
03-21-2012, 08:35 PM
If he has frozen shoulder, he should really be seeing someone for it. That can get pretty nasty if left untreated.

Donald Lee
03-21-2012, 08:54 PM
And it can cause problems for YEARS (5-10 at least).

Marcus Allen
03-21-2012, 09:11 PM
My mom went through this. They ended up having to sedate her just to put her shoulder through ROM work due to pain. First shoulder was like 6mos rehab because they tried other stuff first. That was just to get ROM back, not strength.

Second shoulder was about 1/2 that IIRC.

She has been fine since though, so that's good.

Brent Sallee
03-21-2012, 11:41 PM
And it can cause problems for YEARS (5-10 at least).

If properly rehabbed, it can typically be become functional within 3-4mo and roughly back to normal (as normal as it will get) in about a year. It's a long battle, but I definitely support seeing somebody about it - likely a physical therapist. Crossfit is not really accommodating for someone with a pathology like that.

Donald Lee
03-22-2012, 12:06 AM
If properly rehabbed, it can typically be become functional within 3-4mo and roughly back to normal (as normal as it will get) in about a year. It's a long battle, but I definitely support seeing somebody about it - likely a physical therapist. Crossfit is not really accommodating for someone with a pathology like that.

Yeah...I should have added 'potentially' and 'if left untreated'.

Helen M Brennan
03-22-2012, 01:07 AM
I have had a frozen shoulder ( adhesive capsulitis) and it is extrordinarily painful and debilitating.

Also because of the poor bloodsupply to the area the use of anti inflamatory meds and pain meds is less than successful

I would recomend trying acupuncture as well as seeking conventional treatment. My dr is a qualified acupuncturist and i was pain free within three weeks much to my astonishment.

H

Mike Kelley
03-22-2012, 01:47 AM
He's already seeing a PT and doing therapy with him twice a week. Just trying to figure out if he could do anything in terms of exercise.

I know there is some carry over in strength between arms if you only train one side, I just wonder if it's worth it. I feel like he could definitely do some leg stuff just to get moving.

I'll suggest acupuncture, as well. Couldn't hurt.

Brian Strump
03-22-2012, 03:05 AM
If that's the case, I would work with them through their pain free ROM on the injured arm....and you are correct. Have them do single arm stuff, that would be beneficial.

He's already seeing a PT and doing therapy with him twice a week. Just trying to figure out if he could do anything in terms of exercise.

I know there is some carry over in strength between arms if you only train one side, I just wonder if it's worth it. I feel like he could definitely do some leg stuff just to get moving.

I'll suggest acupuncture, as well. Couldn't hurt.