PDA

View Full Version : Knee "issues"

Tom Stepp
03-15-2012, 11:36 AM
If you have had a knee injury diagnosed as medial meniscus injury or a medial collateral ligament injury would you mind sharing how this injury manifested itself? What caused the injury? What level of "pain"or "discomfort" you dealt with.

I am having "issues" with my right knee. Interior. Symptoms seem to indicate one of the above. I know I need to see the Dr. I am afraid he will remind me that I'm 54 and that doing Crossfit indicates a need for a mental evaluation as well.

Mike Whitehead
03-15-2012, 11:54 AM
If you have had a knee injury diagnosed as medial meniscus injury or a medial collateral ligament injury would you mind sharing how this injury manifested itself? What caused the injury? What level of "pain"or "discomfort" you dealt with.

I am having "issues" with my right knee. Interior. Symptoms seem to indicate one of the above. I know I need to see the Dr. I am afraid he will remind me that I'm 54 and that doing Crossfit indicates a need for a mental evaluation as well.

I was diagnosed with both a medial and lateral meniscus tear.

It happened during a back squat. A warm up set actually. I remember feeling a little twinge. After that whenever I went heavy and deep I was getting pain and a little bit of swelling in the knee. It wasn't really bad pain - maybe a 3 or 4 on a scale to 10.

I stayed away from anything deep for a few weeks and it felt back to normal so max front squat came up and I did it and the pain came back. Then it seemed to just keep hanging around thrusters got it, playing with the kids on the floor did it, etc.

So I decided to have the surgery (this is not my first knee surgery as both ACLs were done in 1995). Many people can just deal with it and some strengthing will help. If you're already in good shape though and want to keep up CF then ?

How long has it been bothering you? Can you point to a point where you injured it? Do you have mobility problems upstream (hips) or downstream (ankles)? Do you have a solid overhead squat?

Tom Stepp
03-15-2012, 02:12 PM
I was diagnosed with both a medial and lateral meniscus tear.

How long has it been bothering you? Can you point to a point where you injured it? Do you have mobility problems upstream (hips) or downstream (ankles)? Do you have a solid overhead squat?

Mike, last week and the week prior we did a lot of couplet/triplets with jumping and squatting movements for Metcons. Our lifting days did have a heavy OHS sessions and another had a split jerk portion. In addition to these I have been doing my own Burpee Challenge at home and working on my doubleunders. I first felt the pain last Thursday during a WOD at the box. Sharp pain between initial squatting movement and prior to thigh being below parallel. After parallel I seem to be fine. Ice for Friday- Sunday. Trainer would not allow me to work out. Did the WOD Monday evening instead of morning, no pain, no swelling. Noticed slight twinge yesterday. This morning I couldn't do a simple lunge during warmup without my leg giving way.

My OHS SQUAT stinks. I want to muscle everything instead of following instructions. I have not had any probelms with my knees or ankles prior to this though both have had injuries requiring casts and stitches.

IF this is an injury requiring surgery how big a deal is it. I just started 5 months ago after sitting on my backside for 26 years. I'll be $&%$)&^$ if I will quit now.

Mike Whitehead
03-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Mike, last week and the week prior we did a lot of couplet/triplets with jumping and squatting movements for Metcons. Our lifting days did have a heavy OHS sessions and another had a split jerk portion. In addition to these I have been doing my own Burpee Challenge at home and working on my doubleunders. I first felt the pain last Thursday during a WOD at the box. Sharp pain between initial squatting movement and prior to thigh being below parallel. After parallel I seem to be fine. Ice for Friday- Sunday. Trainer would not allow me to work out. Did the WOD Monday evening instead of morning, no pain, no swelling. Noticed slight twinge yesterday. This morning I couldn't do a simple lunge during warmup without my leg giving way.

My OHS SQUAT stinks. I want to muscle everything instead of following instructions. I have not had any probelms with my knees or ankles prior to this though both have had injuries requiring casts and stitches.

IF this is an injury requiring surgery how big a deal is it. I just started 5 months ago after sitting on my backside for 26 years. I'll be $&%$)&^$ if I will quit now.

Sorry to hear about this morning. IF the problem is a meniscus the surgery is no big deal. It is a 5 min procedure with a quick recovery.

The fact that you are losing stability in the knee makes me think it isn't a meniscus though as the structural integrity of the knee is not compromised with this type of injury. In any case sounds like it is time to see the doc.

Good luck!

Dan Thomas
03-16-2012, 08:11 AM
Same issue here... medial meniscus pain, right knee.

It first happened 2 years ago... back squat. Felt a little pop. Some 10 weeks of physical therapy later, I was fine. Mostly ultrasound... no strengthening. No MRI.

Happened again 2 weeks ago... back squat. No pop this time. Back to the doc, and back to physical therapy... first session was yesterday. He wants to do some glute, hip, and inner quad strengthening this time (all with bands). Followup is in 3 weeks. If I'm still having issues, it's MRI time.

DT

Joe Bernard
03-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Get an MRI done asap, only way to know exactly what is wrong.

I've been dealing with patella femoral sydrome in the medial patellar tendon of my left knee for about a year now. It is the same feeling that you have, sharp pain with my leg giving way sometimes. Your case might be like mine, if so then definitely do physical therapy and possibly look into getting a PRP shot, it really helped with me.

Also, are you flat-footed? If so, this might be the cause as to why this happened. I'm flat-footed and when I walk I overpronate, meaning my ankles are supported by the inside of my feet instead of the center. This twists the knee inward and causes repeated stress, which over time can lead to injury. In this case, minimalist shoes are not good. Get some shoes with solid support and possibly custom orthotics. I know they can get pricey, but mine have made a big difference and I can now play golf just fine.

Another thing to look at is your form while squatting. If you don't sit back enough, your glutes and hamstrings do not come into play much and more of the work is transferred to your quads and knees. This, in combination with knees out beyond your toes, can create a significant force on your knees that can cause injury. I've done a fair amount of research and while there is always more to do, I'll be happy to discuss it more in a PM if you want