PDA

View Full Version : Don't buy York

Kevin Wood
11-06-2011, 11:31 AM
I have two of their barbells that have been damaged from normal use. The ends have broken apart, as seen in the picture.

I called their rep, and was told I would have to send the bars to them (pay freight), they would inspect them, send me two sleeves (pay freight again), and then assemble them.

His solution was to buy two more bars.

That will be the last time I ever contact York Barbell. They do not stand behind their products and do not provide basic customer service.

Chris Crawford
11-06-2011, 12:09 PM
I had a York bar break in the same way. I spoke with a warranty rep who was nice but not super helpful. My bar was over 1 yr old and was a closeout model which I bought for only $90. Also a spindle type which had to be PB Welded together several times to stay together. $260 for a Rogue bar feels like a lot more when you buy it, but warrantied for life. That's where I will go next time.

I'm not sure York considers what we do normal use. :)

Mike Lian
11-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Kevin,

How long have you had those bars for? How did that happen?

Kevin Wood
11-08-2011, 07:24 AM
I've had them for 3 years. One broke from a 95# thruster being dumped from overhead (with bumpers). And the other was a 185 Deadlift with bumpers.

Dave Hancock
11-08-2011, 12:10 PM
I've never used a york barbell, but are they intended for olympic lift use, ie. dropping from overhead? If its just a basic barbell then it probably wouldn't standup to olympic lifting abuse. It sucks they broke.

Kevin Wood
11-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Directly from their website...

"YORK's International Men's and Women's Needle Bearing Olympic Training bars are an excellent choice for Olympic-style movements."

Struan Potter
11-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Directly from their website...

"YORK's International Men's and Women's Needle Bearing Olympic Training bars are an excellent choice for Olympic-style movements."

You don't see York Equipment used at high level international meets for a reason. Eleiko, Werksan and DHS are the brands you see at international meets.

Kevin Wood
11-09-2011, 09:30 AM
True, I just didn't expect two of them to break after 3 years.

Graeme Moore
11-09-2011, 09:50 AM
We were given a free 7ft Oly bar by the York rep. It bent during a 150kg deadlift. We didn't place an order.

James lee
11-09-2011, 01:29 PM
exactly the reason I use Rouge for all my gear. sleeve came off on one of the bars ( I have over 20 so 1 failure is pretty good) and they sent me a new one ASAP with a return shipping label for the broken one. can I buy cheaper bars at others places.. sure but customer service is the key to me.

Ben Norris
11-09-2011, 04:12 PM
We were given a free 7ft Oly bar by the York rep. It bent during a 150kg deadlift. We didn't place an order.

That is SHOCKING. We have two cheap Oly bars in our garage gym that would DEFINITELY not be rated to more than 135kg (300 pounds) and we have had 180kg (400 pounds) on there no probs at all.

Allison Foreman
11-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Kevin, I would like to address and rectify your issue with the York bar. If there are ever any issues with York product, York does stand behind their products and supports their customers. The usual process would be to contact the dealer from whom you purchased the bar, so they can let York know (so the warranty department can track any issue). I don’t know with whom you spoke at corporate, but clearly there was miscommunication (in house). If a sleeve has separated, the bar would be returned to York (at York’s expense, not yours). York would provide a return tag for the broken bar. Please contact me so that I can make suitable arrangements for your bar, and I apologize for the inconvenience and for information inadequately communicated.
Mr. Crawford, not sure which “closeout” bar you referred to, or what you meant by a spindle type (do you mean a threaded sleeve on a 1” diameter retail bar?). Please get in touch with me as well.
And Mr. Moore, don’t know your rep in the UK or what product number bar you were given – I hope you discussed the issue with him/her. York Fitness UK carries a different product line than York Barbell USA.
York manufactures a wide variety of bars at different price points, different strengths, for different types of lifting, both Olympic and weightlifting. Retail, light commercially warranted, full commercially warranted, as well as competition spec’d bars are available, as well as a variety of plates, a new line of less costly bumpers, equipment, dumbbells, kettlebells and other products. As always, I offer the CF community between 30-40% off MSRP on everything in the product line and provide lowest delivered price. If you’d like an electronic catalog, shoot me an email.

Allison Foreman for York Barbell
allisonforeman@aol.com, 614.785.9266 o

Patrick Scott
11-16-2011, 07:51 AM
I've got an old york bar that I found on craigslist. It looks like it's from the 70's from all the rust. I rehabbed it a bit and spins nice now. It takes repeated OH drops (w/ bumpers) with 135+ on it. I guess they don't make em like they used to because my york bar doesn't look like the ones posted earlier in this thread.

John McEneany
11-16-2011, 08:36 AM
How does York explain bars that are supposed to weigh 44 to 45 lbs, weighing only 40 lbs?

Brendan McNamar
11-16-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm sitting on a brand new York Squat and Press Rack that was shipped defective, poor welding in one of the leg pieces. Rack isn't straight. Bought it from Christian's Fitness Factory. CFF is claiming it is a warranty issues and York is supper slow on these things.

I'm disputing the charge with Visa to get resolution.

I will never buy another York product because of the customer service issue. If you don't stand behind what you build and sell (hassle free) then I don't want to do business with you.

On a positive note the Rouge S-3 I ordered showed up on time, is built like a tank and gave me an extra pull-up station. It is also really good for band assisted pull-ups. I have learned my lesson. Rouge gets all my business, witch is considerable because I own an expanding affiliate, so long as their prices stay reasonable.

Mark Garrett
11-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Fair and impartial observer here. I know the York products to which you are referring. I also know Rogue, Bill, and Allison Foreman. I have spent $1000's with each. I will no doubt do it again in the future. I have talked face to face with each. The facts I know, Allison Foreman is an AWESOME person to deal with for service. She WILL ABSOLUTELY stand behind her word. Bill and Rogue are also good to deal with. That been said, I have tried to use the York (formerly International bar/ then the North American "needle bearing" bar) in a heavy usage Olympic lift facility and it didn't work. They all bent or came apart. I never tried to get my money back because I knew better than to buy cheap bars. NOW the York USA bars (the Elite training and the Elite Competition) are the bars my lifters fight for daily. The York USA bars are the ones that WERE used in ELite level competition years ago. York has since dropped the IWF certification process and the cost associated with it. (Same reason Pendlay's aren't IWF stickered) The newest York USA bars I bought were not exactly like the old ones but they are still heavy duty bars. I don't care which bar you get- Rogue, Pendlay, York USA, WerkSan, etc. I have all of them and they are all good- but to be fair a York USA is still a good bar that will handle heavy work loads. I don't care who you buy from but Allison Foreman will stand behind her words, and she is a genius at saving on shipping.

Brian Strump
11-22-2011, 08:30 PM
We have some plyo boxes similar to Rogue's that are 20,24,30in all in one.

Has anyone had any success building the same kind of plyo boxes but on a smaller size scale?

Maybe starting at 12-16in, and going up to 20-24in in height?

If so, would you mind sending me some measurement specs?

Thanks!

Leroy Jett
11-23-2011, 12:19 AM
Brian I have a spec sheet for them but dont have it on this computer. I'll have to get it and get it to you.

Brian Strump
11-23-2011, 03:59 AM
Brian I have a spec sheet for them but dont have it on this computer. I'll have to get it and get it to you.

That would be great Leroy. Thanks!

Sorry guys, meant to make a new post for this.

Carl Dean
11-23-2011, 01:58 PM
I have a York Elite Olympic Training Bar and that bar is built like a tank. I have dropped that bar from overhead with 275# many times and never had any issues with it.

I dont know how well their lower end bars hold up but the upper end bars are great and shouldn't give you any issues.

Oh, and I have ordered directly from Allison at York and she was really easy to work with and gave great customer service.