PDA

View Full Version : Re: Patella Tendonitis

Matt Bennett
08-15-2011, 06:43 AM
About 3 months ago I was diagnosed with Patella Tendonitis and seems to just not be going away. Anyone have success with beating this....I have been resting, iceing..etc...but still aches and feels week just south of the knee cap. Should I begin strengthening now and does have anyone have some good exercises. I have been crossfiting for a few years and running for 16 and I think it's just an overuse injury. Thoughts???

Megan Zetter
08-15-2011, 07:45 AM
About 3 months ago I was diagnosed with Patella Tendonitis and seems to just not be going away. Anyone have success with beating this....I have been resting, iceing..etc...but still aches and feels week just south of the knee cap. Should I begin strengthening now and does have anyone have some good exercises. I have been crossfiting for a few years and running for 16 and I think it's just an overuse injury. Thoughts???

What have you been doing the past 3 months? Any rehab?

Matt Bennett
08-15-2011, 08:32 AM
Like most stubborn people I continued doing my regular routine of crossfit coupled with running. I definitely backed off my mileage but that was about it up until 3 weeks ago when the acheing/weakness just got to be too much. I was given some pensaid (anti-inflammatory medication) by ortho that you directly apply to the area three times and day and also purchased and begin taking liquid fish oil with no results. I stretch frequently and am very flexible so I don't believe this is a flexibility issue. Lastly, I have been doing a lot of myofascial stuff on my foam roller twice per day. Ortho took x-rays and everything looked perfect in there. Not sure if I should start strengthening yet or continue to rest or what....

Scott Tredennick
08-15-2011, 08:45 AM
after three months of pain you've probably done some damage to your tendon that will take serious time to recover. I am currently dealing with the same issue. I went and saw a doctor and now am doing prolotherapy treatment for that, a loose acl, and a slightly torn meniscus. go see a doctor, take time off and keep up with the mobility. this isnt something that will go away with a magical stretch anymore unfortunately.

Matt Bennett
08-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Have never tried prolotherapy..sounds interesting. Are you finding it helpful?

Matt Bennett
08-15-2011, 10:01 AM

Jose M. Perez
08-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Tendonitis is an overuse injury. It can take as long as six months to heal. See a doctor; he will probably refer you to a physical therapist. In the meantime, avoid anything that causes pain. The physical therapist will recommend some strengthening exercises to help you recover.

Scott Tredennick
08-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Got one injection a few weeks ago and I think i went a little hard on it...apparently heavy backsquats and multiple WOD's a day don't fit into the prolotherapy protocol of "you don't have to change what your doing" But the first injection was just for the tendon, I'm going back next week for another injection into the ACL and meniscus. The doc thinks that the loose ACL is making my patellar tendon work too hard so I'll let you know how it goes.

Brent Sallee
08-16-2011, 11:01 AM
So really you've only stopped activity 3 weeks ago. That means you've only had that amount of time to heal. You should go see a physical therapist about it. It's not that difficult to treat typically - some cross-friction massage to line up the fibers of the tendon, patellar mobilization as needed, soft tissue mobilization of the quadriceps, etc. You can do the first and third things yourself. Massage perpendicular and slowly with a fair amount of pressure on the symptomatic area - within a minute or two, the pain should start to ease a little bit. Continue for a few more minutes. Also, just foam roll those quadriceps. The more tender they are, the more likely they need to be rolled out. If it's too painful to roll on it, just rest on it until the pain decreases and continue on.

Matt Bennett
08-17-2011, 09:00 AM
So really you've only stopped activity 3 weeks ago. That means you've only had that amount of time to heal. You should go see a physical therapist about it. It's not that difficult to treat typically - some cross-friction massage to line up the fibers of the tendon, patellar mobilization as needed, soft tissue mobilization of the quadriceps, etc. You can do the first and third things yourself. Massage perpendicular and slowly with a fair amount of pressure on the symptomatic area - within a minute or two, the pain should start to ease a little bit. Continue for a few more minutes. Also, just foam roll those quadriceps. The more tender they are, the more likely they need to be rolled out. If it's too painful to roll on it, just rest on it until the pain decreases and continue on.

Thanks Brent.. I have been rolling my quads consistently for two weeks now and that along with a standing quad stretch multiple times a day seems to be helping the most right now. Ocassionally I also run the shaft of a putter in my office along that tendon...that produces the most pain but seems to be the best way to get some good blood flow there. I do have a tender spot above my right knee cap that just refuses to release and consistently makes a clicking sound when I straighten my leg. I am the point now where most of the pain is gone but the weakness is still very present. I feel like someone replaced my 36 year old knee's with a 63 year olds knee's. Hopeing the strength returns some time soon...

Brent Sallee
08-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks Brent.. I have been rolling my quads consistently for two weeks now and that along with a standing quad stretch multiple times a day seems to be helping the most right now. Ocassionally I also run the shaft of a putter in my office along that tendon...that produces the most pain but seems to be the best way to get some good blood flow there. I do have a tender spot above my right knee cap that just refuses to release and consistently makes a clicking sound when I straighten my leg. I am the point now where most of the pain is gone but the weakness is still very present. I feel like someone replaced my 36 year old knee's with a 63 year olds knee's. Hopeing the strength returns some time soon...

Sounds like the patella's mobility itself may be contributing to the tendonitis itself. I definitely wouldn't run the putter down the tendon - it's too aggressive and may be inducing chronic inflammation. The click is probably coming from the patellofemoral joint. If that's a big issue, you should definitely go see a physical therapist. Those things are pretty easy to address and could relieve your pain entirely. It's not going to fix itself and you may need professional intervention to get it to heal properly.

Matt Bennett
08-19-2011, 09:18 AM
I was poking around on line searching for physical therapy for quads' specifically on the top of knee. I found this simple way to use your elbow to work it out. I think the patella tendinitis has subsided but the knee still feels week so it must be this teardrop muscle above me knee because the pain when I press my elbow into it is :yikes:.

Matt Bennett
08-27-2011, 10:58 AM
I finally went to a PT last week and he says I have Chondromalacia. When he pushes on my right knee and moves the Patella back and forth it's all I can do not to hit him....kidding but the pain is awful. So as of now he is trying to strenghthen my inner quad. Next week he is contemplating taping the knee to get the patella to follow the correct path. Anyone have any other idea's or want to argue with what this PT is doing??

Brent Sallee
08-27-2011, 12:00 PM
I finally went to a PT last week and he says I have Chondromalacia. When he pushes on my right knee and moves the Patella back and forth it's all I can do not to hit him....kidding but the pain is awful. So as of now he is trying to strenghthen my inner quad. Next week he is contemplating taping the knee to get the patella to follow the correct path. Anyone have any other idea's or want to argue with what this PT is doing??

Well, there's controversy as to whether you can selectively strengthen the inner quad (vastus medialis obliquus) or if that's even needed since the thought was based on faulty assumption with EMG. Some of the standard practices are to improve patellar mobility with patellar mobilizations, loosen up the lateral musculature, and to strengthen things that resist the knee falling into adduction or internal rotation in a poorly controlled fashion. Taping the knee is great for reducing symptoms, but it's not something you can wear all the time and it's not something you should become reliant upon. You need to address the underlying issues for it to go away for good. After that, he'll probably gradually have to start loading it more and more to promote cartilage recovery.

Matt Bennett
08-28-2011, 07:58 AM
It's been 3 weeks of no running and no crossfit and was wondering if I should be getting back to just body weight movements? The exercises he has me doing are very basic and not sure they are going to be providing any real improvement. He has me on a short step stool doing touch n go's, step up's, step up and back, leg extensions holds with ankle weights and leg extension holds with no weights..Is this really going to make my patella more stable??? Haveing a hard time accepting those simple movements are going to help. I have done my own research and it appears he is following protocol for this type of injury. Just getting frustrated and want to make sure I am doing what I can to recover.

Brent Sallee
08-28-2011, 02:33 PM
It's been 3 weeks of no running and no crossfit and was wondering if I should be getting back to just body weight movements? The exercises he has me doing are very basic and not sure they are going to be providing any real improvement. He has me on a short step stool doing touch n go's, step up's, step up and back, leg extensions holds with ankle weights and leg extension holds with no weights..Is this really going to make my patella more stable??? Haveing a hard time accepting those simple movements are going to help. I have done my own research and it appears he is following protocol for this type of injury. Just getting frustrated and want to make sure I am doing what I can to recover.

He's not doing them to make it more stable - your cartilage is softened and on the verge of damaged. He's slowly re-loading it to make it more firm, induce what little regeneration is possible, and allow it to sustain more load. This isn't something to make everything stronger - it's to use the new range and improve the quality of tissue. It will take a few weeks to do so. He'll advise you when you should start to return to more advanced movements.

Matt Bennett
08-28-2011, 03:14 PM
It looks like bicycling or pool work is acceptable on some websites. I'll ask him at our next appointment. Hate to lose all my capicity..
:thanx::thanx: