PDA

View Full Version : Box jump injury...

Scott McIntyre
08-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Nailed my shin on the box on Sunday, check out what the bruise did. No pain whatsoever, except when I actually it...it feels fine now...

Should I be worried?

Brent Sallee
08-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Um, that signifies pretty significant damage. Whether it's just soft tissue or not - who knows. Try jumping up and down on it. If that bothers it at a specific location, it might be worth it to visit the doctor and rule out a fracture.

Greg Crawford
08-11-2011, 05:51 PM
This may be, perhaps, some of the worst effing advice I've ever seen here. "Jump up and down on it"

WTF!!! A-Hole! Jeebus!

OP: Go see a doctor. Do NOT follow dip****'s advice about jumping. F^^&E$R^&E!!!

Stupid. F-er.

Scott McIntyre
08-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Well here is the thing, Monday was an off day, and since I said there was no pain I didnt even notice this until this morning...

Tuesday I did about 100 30" box jumps in a WOD, Wednesday I did loads of burpees and burpee pull ups..no pain. Again, didnt notice.

So I noticed it this morning and since it doesnt hurt, I didnt really take it easy and did a running wod, with burpee pull ups tonight.

Im thinking Im ok, a friend in Med School says it seems fine if there is no pain.

Megan Zetter
08-11-2011, 09:37 PM
This may be, perhaps, some of the worst effing advice I've ever seen here. "Jump up and down on it"

WTF!!! A-Hole! Jeebus!

OP: Go see a doctor. Do NOT follow dip****'s advice about jumping. F^^&E$R^&E!!!

Stupid. F-er.

The "hop/jump" test is a screening for fracture. So this really was not a bad suggestion given the extent of the bruising.

Brent Sallee
08-11-2011, 11:15 PM

WTF!!! A-Hole! Jeebus!

Stupid. F-er.

Really? Considering I'm a healthcare professional (student physical therapist) and that what I stated is actually a diagnostic test... who's being the a-hole? It tests to distinguish between soft tissue and bony damage.

I can't believe someone who doesn't know anything about injuries would honestly jump to major conclusion about someone based on one post. Seriously, man, you need to calm down and read some books if you wanna hang around and contribute in these injuries forums.

Brent Sallee
08-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Well here is the thing, Monday was an off day, and since I said there was no pain I didnt even notice this until this morning...

Tuesday I did about 100 30" box jumps in a WOD, Wednesday I did loads of burpees and burpee pull ups..no pain. Again, didnt notice.

So I noticed it this morning and since it doesnt hurt, I didnt really take it easy and did a running wod, with burpee pull ups tonight.

Im thinking Im ok, a friend in Med School says it seems fine if there is no pain.

Definitely go easier on movements that involve the calves significantly for the next few days. Do some light heel raises and walking to get the blood flowing to try to hasten the healing process. Honestly though, if it doesn't both you too much, it shouldn't be a problem. Gotta be more careful in the future :)

Greg Crawford
08-12-2011, 03:57 AM
Really? Considering I'm a healthcare professional (student physical therapist) and that what I stated is actually a diagnostic test... who's being the a-hole? It tests to distinguish between soft tissue and bony damage.

I can't believe someone who doesn't know anything about injuries would honestly jump to major conclusion about someone based on one post. Seriously, man, you need to calm down and read some books if you wanna hang around and contribute in these injuries forums.

Yes, really.

#1: Yup, it is a diagnostic tool..... That is used by real medical professionals (read MD) under direct observation - not via the interwebz.

#2: You are a student (of physical therapy, not in med school), not a "medical professional". You have as much right to diagnose and offer medical advice as the guy that stayed in the "Holiday Inn Express" last night - that'd be none. When you have an MD (if ever), you would perhaps know better.

Don't make assumptions about my knowledge (or lack thereof) based on post count. And I will continue to throw the BS flag when I feel it's needed. Like here. Your advice has been duly noted and filed appropriately.

<flushing sound in the distance>

Mark E. Wallace
08-12-2011, 04:32 AM

WTF!!! A-Hole! Jeebus!

Stupid. F-er.

Reported abusive post.

- Mark

Lynne Pitts
08-12-2011, 05:25 AM

WTF!!! A-Hole! Jeebus!

Stupid. F-er.

Thanks, Mark.

Time out for the obnoxious knucklehead who can't follow the board policies.

Brent Sallee
08-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Yes, really.

#1: Yup, it is a diagnostic tool..... That is used by real medical professionals (read MD) under direct observation - not via the interwebz.

#2: You are a student (of physical therapy, not in med school), not a "medical professional". You have as much right to diagnose and offer medical advice as the guy that stayed in the "Holiday Inn Express" last night - that'd be none. When you have an MD (if ever), you would perhaps know better.

Don't make assumptions about my knowledge (or lack thereof) based on post count. And I will continue to throw the BS flag when I feel it's needed. Like here. Your advice has been duly noted and filed appropriately.

<flushing sound in the distance>

Just for clarification (and not to encourage the troll), it's a diagnostic tool utilized by healthcare professionals - i.e. orthopedic surgeons, chiropractors, physical therapists.

And, as a student who has completed a significant time in my program, I am certified by law as able to evaluate the full low back and lower extremity. I provide a quality of treatment at the level of an entry level DPT, as dictated by the Physical Therapy CA Practice Act. Considering I've taken 5 years of school total so far focused on this area, I am far more qualified than any random stranger. I am an healthcare professional in that I do evaluate and treat individuals in the clinic. Do you?

I'm making no assumptions of anyone's knowledge. When one attacks another over a completely legitimate suggestion (which is a no-risk test because it tests for stress fracture more than anything), it is clear that they do not understand what's going on with the injured individual.

Steven Low
08-12-2011, 04:38 PM
lol....

Just for reference this is the Internet so take any "advice" with a grain of salt.