PDA

View Full Version : Lower Back Niggle

Craig Amor
08-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Hi everyone!

I hope you are all well?

First the back story- I lift Raw ( no belt ) I have always had he odd acute injury but nothing a few days rest does not cure.

However two days ago i was dead lifting and i felt my lower back twinge, so i immediately stopped the WOD and rested that day.

Today was my first day back as i didn't feel any discomfort, i began the Wod and I just didn't feel right, i didn't get a twinge but i knew if i continued im going to do damage.

Do you think i should back off totally for a few days? Im been using hot and cold therapy and acupressure as recovery/healing.

Thanks for any responses.

Craig :thanx:

Brent Sallee
08-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Definitely back off for a few days. The inflammatory process will take anywhere from 3-10 days to cool down. Afterward, you can start slowly working your way back into stuff that utilizes your back extensors. It sounds more like a sprain/strain to me, but if it gets significantly worse or if you get any numbness, weakness, or tingling go see a physician.

And if you think you can do some light back extensions (like unweighted good mornings - partial ROM) without pain, that may help facilitate blood flow and progressive healing.

Craig Amor
08-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Thats great thank you very much for the advice.

Craig

Steven Low
08-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Where would you say it is in accordance to the below article

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/02/so-you-hurt-your-lower-back/

Craig Amor
08-13-2011, 02:12 AM
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8720/lowbackpain.jpg

Hi,

If you click on the above image the pain is localized in the two smaller red boxes.

Sitting down causes discomfort and stiffness. However if i stand i feel nothing.

I hope this helps.

Craig

Gaines DuVall
08-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Hi everyone!

I hope you are all well?

First the back story- I lift Raw ( no belt ) I have always had he odd acute injury but nothing a few days rest does not cure.

However two days ago i was dead lifting and i felt my lower back twinge, so i immediately stopped the WOD and rested that day.

Today was my first day back as i didn't feel any discomfort, i began the Wod and I just didn't feel right, i didn't get a twinge but i knew if i continued im going to do damage.

Do you think i should back off totally for a few days? Im been using hot and cold therapy and acupressure as recovery/healing.

Thanks for any responses.

Craig :thanx:

Craig, I have had a similar problem for a while now. Then last week, it completely locked up on me causing pain that made me cry (literally.) All this time, I knew something was wrong but kept pushing through WOD's, with light weight.

WELL, I finally got an MRI, and basically I am screwed and will never be doing any real crossfit again. I have 3 severely herniated discs that according to 2 of my 3 docs, are not going to heal with therapy. Of course I am going to try therapy.

What sucks is that I have GREAT form on all the powerlifts and oly lifts, but the truth is that most overheard lifts and lifting things from the ground cause HUGE stress on the lower lumbar.

Anyway, go get it checked out. And dont just go to a Chiro for an xray. Make sure you get an MRI! Hopefully nothing is actually wrong with your back. But it sounds similar to my problem.

Gaines DuVall
08-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Where would you say it is in accordance to the below article

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/02/so-you-hurt-your-lower-back/

GREAT article Steven.