PDA

View Full Version : Recovering from ankle injury

Rowan Minnion
08-10-2011, 04:55 PM
I have been recovering from an ankle injury for the last 4 months and can't wait to get back to training. Anyone else had experience with an ankle injury and returning to CF? Specifically:

What exercises should I avoid

Which ones may benefit

Should I complete my full physio course before even stepping back into box?

Thanks
Rowan

Steven Low
08-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Uh, these types of things you should be asking your physio about progress towards more athletic exercises like squats/DLs/etc.

We don't even know what you injury is and where you are with your progress.

Generally speaking, anything that doesn't cause increases in pain or aggravatation of injury is fine... but you still wanna run stuff by the professional you are seeing

Omri Aloni
08-14-2011, 01:36 AM
Just rest and avoid anything that may aggravate it (i.e. running, burpees, etc). Trust me on this one, I had a strained ATFL due to jumping too fast into barefoot/minimalist running and it took much longer to heal than it should have because I kept hitting WOD's that included things like burpees. If you still want to train move towards something more strength oriented, as Steven recommended.

Christy Warren
08-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Rowan, have you been to a doctor? I have had 2 very severe ankle injuries in my life. Recently I broke my fibula and tore apart my ankle May 1 of this year. I am about 3 weeks away from going back to work as a firefighter. If you have not gotten much better by now you may have something serious going on. If the ligaments in your ankle were torn and your tibia and fibula have moved at all - causing them to spread apart - you could have some real problems down the road.
I have been going to super progressive physical therapy (and I have been hitting it hard) and can tell you what I have done to get my ankle back together. If you want I would be happy to share with you the exercises I have done. Just let me know.

Omri Aloni
08-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Actually Christy I'd be interested to know to just for future preventative measures/prehab if you don't mind! PM me...