PDA

View Full Version : CF Strength Bias advice (injury)

Tyler Duniho
08-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Hello All,

I've been crossfitting for about a year now, five months of which I"ve had a partial tear in right TFCC. This has def. limited my experience ( no oly lifts, no presses of any kind, knuckle push ups), but I'm still enjoying it.

My main goal with crossfit is to increase DL and BS, while at the same time increasing my cardiac abilities. I was doing this at first, but now with only being able to complete 1/7 WODs, my progress is halting. So I've decided to start CFSB.

Everything in the program makes sense to me, I just don't know how to get around this injury on a few points. For front squat, I have a device that lets me (more) easily train with crossed arms so I don't have to put any weight on wrists. The only other issue is that I cant do shoulder Presses, which is a big part of the program.

So what would you suggest subbing in? I've considered just making that an extra metcon day, perhaps a yoga day....I've also thought about buying a weight vest and doing weighted pushups of different quantities when it calls for shoulder presses (or even pullups). The only problem with subbing pushups and pullups is that a lot of my metcons are going to involve these exercises, since I'm limited in what I can do.

So, any advice would be great, and much appreciated.

Rebecca Roth
08-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Hello All,

I've been crossfitting for about a year now, five months of which I"ve had a partial tear in right TFCC. This has def. limited my experience ( no oly lifts, no presses of any kind, knuckle push ups), but I'm still enjoying it.

My main goal with crossfit is to increase DL and BS, while at the same time increasing my cardiac abilities. I was doing this at first, but now with only being able to complete 1/7 WODs, my progress is halting. So I've decided to start CFSB.

Everything in the program makes sense to me, I just don't know how to get around this injury on a few points. For front squat, I have a device that lets me (more) easily train with crossed arms so I don't have to put any weight on wrists. The only other issue is that I cant do shoulder Presses, which is a big part of the program.

So what would you suggest subbing in? I've considered just making that an extra metcon day, perhaps a yoga day....I've also thought about buying a weight vest and doing weighted pushups of different quantities when it calls for shoulder presses (or even pullups). The only problem with subbing pushups and pullups is that a lot of my metcons are going to involve these exercises, since I'm limited in what I can do.

So, any advice would be great, and much appreciated.

Doing CF proper as written will not get you significantly stronger, unlikely it will even take you significantly into your novice progress. Based on your injury and goal, it sounds like CFSB is better suited but may still not be the best choice of those that could be reccommended. Can you give some additional info on your current lift numbers, height, and weight?

Steven Low
08-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Knuckle handstand pushups

But seriously... have you talked to your doc/pt if you've seen one about your options for TFCC injury?

I would add some stability for the wrists by taping them if you can as well, or by investing in some sort of wrist bands.

Tyler Duniho
08-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Don't think I haven't thought about knuckle handstand pushups ( :

Ya I've seen my doctor, but not for a few months. We were basically at the point where he told me I can have a risky surgery that could either bring me to 100% or mess me up for life. So, I did some research, found the wrist widget and have been wearing it since (20 weeks or so).I'm seeing great progress with it, but it's just going to take a LONG time to heal. I've been told 9 months minimum to full recovery with this type of injury. I'd say I'm at about 80-90% recovery. If I weren't working out, I wouldn't even realize I still had the injury; but there are many exercises I still can't do.

So in the mean time, CFSB. I think what I've decided to do is just do another metcon on that day. Later on down the road, if I decide I want add strength work on that day, ill add in weighted pull-ups.