PDA

View Full Version : stroke or pinched nerve?

Michael D Hillis
07-30-2011, 09:14 PM
so about 2 weeks ago i was doing over head squats and in the middle of a set my left thump started to tingle and my forarm went kind of nump it was like my arm fell asleep but then a couple days later it still tingled and was numb but it was a little better i went to do curls and i couldnt curl more than 15 pounds with my left arm i usaly can do 45 so im a little freaked out i went to the local doc and they said just rest it ?

Steven Low
07-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Get it checked by an orthopedic doc and/or physical therapist ASAP. Motor weakness and sensory deficit aren't something to play around with but it's definitely not a stroke.

Likely a pinched nerve either at the spinal, or brachial plexus level.

Those are the most common with overhead squats.

Michael D Hillis
07-30-2011, 09:43 PM
whats a normal recovery time?

Steven Low
07-30-2011, 09:57 PM
It depends on a lot of factors. Need to identify what caused the issue, how long between the injury and any potential fixes, if it can be undone by adjustments or whatever else, etc.

Brent Sallee
07-31-2011, 06:02 PM
whats a normal recovery time?

Could honestly just be a brief impingement, but it could be caused by a ton of things - shoulder instability (especially if the humerus sits forward), neck issues, local impingement due to musculature (scalenes, pronator teres), etc. Definitely get it looked out. Unless it's a serious disc issue, you should be able to get conservative treatment.

Michael D Hillis
07-31-2011, 08:49 PM
i did have a bad kinked neck like 4 weeks ago and i do wake up some times with a sore neck