PDA

View Full Version : Pain in deltoid when using snatch width grip

Michael Petersen
07-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Basically anything heavy(for me) overhead in snatch width grip causes sharp pain in my left (non-dominant) deltoid. It ends up being the limiting factor in all of my overhead lifts. While I have gotten stronger and increased the threshold at which it causes a miss, the pain is always there. If I take a more narrow grip (still wider than shoulder) or even a regular overhead pressing grip, I have no pain whatsoever.

I am pretty tall (6'6") with a 6'8" wingspan and am on the lanky side. When I look at most people's snatch width grip in relation to their wingspan it seems as though I would need a wider bar to duplicate the same angles.

Has anyone else had similar pain issues at a given grip width?

I am unsure if this is just a body/bar geometry issue or just the after effect of some random mis-healed injury as an adolescent.

The simple answer is obviously to use the more narrow grip. However the narrow grip translates into a longer path for the bar on my snatch. The list of competitive 34 year old, 6'6" 210lb O-lifters is probably pretty short to non-existant. I have no disillusions there. That being said, if there is something I can do to maximize my own potential by adjusting my technique or alignment, I'd love to try.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Steven Low
07-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Pain may be indicative of an issue that if addressed can be fixed....

where is the pain? what location? what type of pain? etc. Need more details

Michael Petersen
07-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Top middle part of my deltoid near the insertion point. The pain is sharp and ends up numbing the area pretty quickly, at which point it almost feels as though my shoulder collapses (though that's probably me just unloading my shoulder as a defense mechanism). I have pretty solid flexibility in both shoulders and there is no movement impingement. It just seems that the loaded angle does not agree with something in my left shoulder.

Steven Low
07-29-2011, 10:53 AM
It does sound like impingement of some sort.

I would suggest getting it checked out by a physical therapist or orthopedic doc if you can.

Also, don't work through hte pain it can do bad things