PDA

View Full Version : Left shoulder

James Easton
07-22-2011, 02:21 AM
Ok so about 5 weeks ago I injured both my shoulders playing rugby, it was just a culmination of tackling and being tackled and landing on my right shoulder. My left shoulder recovered but I found out I had strained my ACJ in my right.

Anyway, my right shoulder is finally feeling better but today whilst doing part of the obstacle course (monkey bars) for PT at my unit i tweaked my left shoulder and now i have quite a lot of pain in my left shoulder when i move it and very limited strength. Worst is when i move my arm straight out in front of my body. The pain feels like it is originating from under my deltoid and running down between the outer part of my arm, somewhere between the bicep and tricep.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are, if anyone has had anything similar happen or if someone can give me any sort of idea about what it could be.

Cheers in advance.

Alex Cohn
07-22-2011, 05:59 AM
I have a similar issue (I have dislocated both my shoulders on numerous occasions) so I often get shoulder pain out of no where. I am in no way qualified to give you advice but I usually ice it as often as possible and rest for a couple days untill the range comes back without pain. Then ill usually work with whatever range of motion I have under light resistance for a week or so and by then its usually back to 100%.

In the past I have continued to work through the pain and it only made it worse

-Alex

Steven Low
07-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Ok so about 5 weeks ago I injured both my shoulders playing rugby, it was just a culmination of tackling and being tackled and landing on my right shoulder. My left shoulder recovered but I found out I had strained my ACJ in my right.

Anyway, my right shoulder is finally feeling better but today whilst doing part of the obstacle course (monkey bars) for PT at my unit i tweaked my left shoulder and now i have quite a lot of pain in my left shoulder when i move it and very limited strength. Worst is when i move my arm straight out in front of my body. The pain feels like it is originating from under my deltoid and running down between the outer part of my arm, somewhere between the bicep and tricep.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are, if anyone has had anything similar happen or if someone can give me any sort of idea about what it could be.

Cheers in advance.

Try to get in with your base's or wherever you are physical therapist to evaluate you.

Seems like you might have impinged your brachial plexus or possibly radial nerve (it runs outside along the arm starting near the posterior shoulder just right under the head of the humerus.. see below).

wfs
http://www.rsirescue.com/images/RadialNerve.gif

Could be something else impinging the stuff but yeah. I'd get it checked out definitely. Too hard to tell without more information.

I have a similar issue (I have dislocated both my shoulders on numerous occasions) so I often get shoulder pain out of no where. I am in no way qualified to give you advice but I usually ice it as often as possible and rest for a couple days untill the range comes back without pain. Then ill usually work with whatever range of motion I have under light resistance for a week or so and by then its usually back to 100%.

In the past I have continued to work through the pain and it only made it worse

-Alex

You need to see a doctor, especially if you chronically dislocate both shoulders especially if it gets worse every time.

Having something like a bankart lesion is no good. And even without that repeated trauma to your shoulders is setting you up for some bad stuff.

James Easton
07-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks a lot for that info. Yeah I have a physio appt on tue morning so will see how that goes.

Once again thanks for your help.