PDA

View Full Version : Ball of foot pain-possible stress fracture

Kevin Schmidt
07-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Hello,

I have some ball of foot pain located around the 2nd metatarsal on my left foot. I'm trying to figure out the best way to heal up and avoid a reinjury.

History:
I'm 23 years old.
I had a long road workout two weeks ago and immediately after starting having pain on the ball of my foot in this area. I had point tenderness and couldn't really go up on my toes on that foot. Walking barefoot was very painful.

I went to the Dr. and had an xray and bonescan.
Xray-possible stress fractures in 2nd and 3rd metatarsal
Bonescan-nothing to indicate a stress fracture, general overuse in the ankles

The diagnosis I got was a "stress reaction" and told to rest it and come back in 30 days. Pain diminished greatly after a week down to about a 2-10 barefoot, and barely noticeable in shoes with orthotics. It has stayed about the same this following week.

My questions are:
Is this more of a soft tissue injury or a bone injury?

Would it be smart to begin doing ankle mobility and foot strengthening now, or wait until the follow up?

Could anyone differentiate between a stress fracture and stress reaction and how the healing times compare?

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all and have a good one.

Steven Low
07-14-2011, 07:36 PM
1. Could be either or both.

2. Yes, as long as they're non-painful. If they start helping obviously this is good.

3. Same thing except fracture is worse. Reaction means there's increased activity but they can't detect any fracturing in the bone to warrant saying that.

Some of the foot work here may help (page 4 specifically) wfs

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions/