PDA

View Full Version : Lower back injury

John Viola
07-01-2011, 03:07 AM
KILLED my lower back doing DLs the other day. Hurts like crazy to bend forward but I can still move ok otherwise, even swing a golf club. I know this has happened to others. What have you done to stay active when your mobility is compromised and you can't pick up more than a gallon of water?

Thanks for any ideas.

Adam Castagno
07-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Damn John... Deads wrecked you the other day too (yesterday I posted an article about how I pulled by Lat doing them, now I am thinking it may be my Teres Maj. who knows... figured my lower back woulda been wrecked not my lat or teres maj).

Anyway I use to have, knock on wood, off and on lower back probs myself, all stemming from one injury, which about every year to year and half I would re-injur it again. What I have found to work is the following...

Take lots of rest, your lower back is a core muscle group, therefore EVERYTHING you do revolves around it, last summer I took 2 weeks off before it felt better, went for a light jog, and my back felt worse than it did before.

Ice it religiously for the first 48hrs, it is going to make it hurt a lot more, esp after the icu comes off and the muscle stiffens up however it is the best to keep inflammation down.
Take some ibuprofen or another type of ant-inflamm. I try to stay away from ibuprofen esp when I train but with injuries sometimes I bite the bullet and take em anyway... also up your all natural anti-inlamm. supps like fish oil, kale etc.
After about 2 days start using heat packs to the area, this will keep it loose as well as cause vasodilitation of the area and increase the healing process. your def gonna wanna do this first thing in the am.
After the pain subsides roughly 1-2 weeks later, gently work back into training but start with a good warm up, followed by stretching. Really stretch you hamstrings out, tight hammies contribute to A LOT of lower back probs. Tighten the abs up too.
For me I worked hard on tightening up my core, as well as nightly I sleep with only one pillow under my head, and two under my knees, this takes a lot of stress off of the lower back... I have had a lot of people start sleeping this way and has virtually made all of mine and their low back probs go away. Try not to sleep on your stomach, it puts your lumbar (lower back) area of your back in constant strain.
If you feel your lower back muscles spasm, def see a Doc, so you can get started on a muscle relaxant like flexeril.
Hope this helps... I have def been there before.

PS you did not wrestle for Weston HS did you?

Gravel Brown
07-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Agree with the above re stretching your hamstrings religiously, it'll definitely help.

John Viola
07-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Adam, great input. Thanks. I'm on the couch now with an ice pack.

I went to HS in RI, so no. Weston is in a different economic bracket than I am used to. I'm very familiar with Norwood-I've worked on or around University Ave. For 12 years now.

Adam Castagno
07-02-2011, 05:02 AM
John,

Weston is in an economic bracket that most people
Aren't use to. Hahaha. I was just curious cause I remember a wrestler from there with the same name as you. I went to uri. What part of ri see you from. I love that state. Hope the back gets better and that my advice helps.

John Viola
07-02-2011, 06:20 AM
Adam-you were right; the ice perversely made everything hurt more. 600mg if ibuprofen later and I am a little better today but this really sucks. Annual July 4th golf tournament on the Cape is out too. But hey, at lest I am not completely laid up. Once I can bend forward enough I will start stretching and moving around. Thanks again for the tips.

Grew up in Cranston and went to URI also. I'm going to go on a limb here and say I am a tad older than you though (class of '90...)

Adam Castagno
07-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Yeah it def hurts more once the ice is on but is helps big time. You can probably start using heat tomorrow and start ur stretching after. Low back injuries are brutal. Def dont be a hero and try golfing no matter how good u think ur back is. You will only be asking for trouble. Good luck.

Ya your just a little older. I grad class 07! Go rhody.

Btw google or yourtube Dave lipson. Idk if u have heard of him but he is an uri alumni who is tearing it up with crossfit. He went there the same time I did.

Chris Westfield
07-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Did you do the Filthy Fifty (50 back extensions) then 3 x 5 deadlifts the next day?

Recipe for lower back injury, in my opinion.

John Viola
07-06-2011, 03:58 AM
Chris,the day before was a sprint/burpee WOD, so nothing like that.

Oddly enough, the last time I hurt my.back, burpees were involved. Totally different situation though.

Definitely on the mend. Feels a lot better.