PDA

View Full Version : Torn Hands!

Gary Butterfield
06-23-2011, 06:40 AM
Hi guys, I imagine this will be a pretty highly talked about subject, but I didn't spot a post specifically about this...

Whenever I'm training on the bars, and especially the rig, I ALWAYS tear my hands to pieces. I know a lot of it is my technique and I'm already making steps to sort this out. In the meantime though, does anyone have any strategies that they implement to deal with hand tears? I try to file them down so there's little to catch on the bars but past there I'm not sure how to deal with them.

Cheers guys and speak soon.

Eric Montgomery
06-23-2011, 06:46 AM
Build up volume slowly, and stop when you feel a callous start to rip. Hand rips aren't anything to be glorified, all they do is create a mess and cost you training time while they recover.

And as you said, make sure you're holding the bar correctly--it should be in your fingers, not in your palm.

Gary Butterfield
06-23-2011, 06:51 AM
I don't glorify hand tears, they're more of a hinderance to me and the rest of the athletes at my box, they just happen, we've got quite a rough rig and they destroy my hands asif they're made out of butter!

Matteo Pagetti
06-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Hi all!

...same problem here, even also a fastidious "pinch" on my nerves between the fingers, that leave me a bit of sensibility on last phalanx in the middle finger..maybe is a callus problem, 'cause i didn't remove one in that point cleanly...some other have this kind of problem? suggestions?
I cannot close more than 15/20 kippings for this fastidiously thing!!:ranting2:

Eric Montgomery
06-24-2011, 11:40 PM
I don't glorify hand tears, they're more of a hinderance to me and the rest of the athletes at my box, they just happen, we've got quite a rough rig and they destroy my hands asif they're made out of butter!

Ok cool, just making sure you weren't the type who equated ripped hands with a good workout. Just keep working up slowly and if possible sand the pullup bars down some to get rid of the rough edges, that might help.

Hi all!

...same problem here, even also a fastidious "pinch" on my nerves between the fingers, that leave me a bit of sensibility on last phalanx in the middle finger..maybe is a callus problem, 'cause i didn't remove one in that point cleanly...some other have this kind of problem? suggestions?
I cannot close more than 15/20 kippings for this fastidiously thing!!:ranting2:

Same deal, just build up volume slowly and make sure you're holding the bar in your fingers and not your palms.

Gary Butterfield
06-25-2011, 02:56 PM
I've been actively working on my tekkers for hanging movements such as kipping and toes to bar. We did a WOD of 21-15-9 of toes to bar and ring dips the other day with a 400m run between rounds, and although my hands got scuffed up a bit I had no tears, happy days! :)

Scott Alexander
07-18-2011, 05:06 PM
So, after tearing my hands up the other day like a knucklehead, my gymnast wife showed me how she used to protect rips she would get during practice.

Here's a video from Crossfit LA describing a very similar technique. (wfs)
http://vimeo.com/4895278

I think in the future, I'm going to prophylactically use this taping any time there is high rep pull-ups so I don't have to deal with tears again. There's nothing cool about willfully letting yourself get hurt.

As an additional benefit, as I learned working out in my local globogym yesterday, if you tape up like the video shows, people will move out of your way while you are doing your WOD. I'm not sure if it's because you look intense, crazy, or a mix of both, but it was like the Red Sea last night. Maybe if I use some eye black and snort while I walk around, those kids won't use my squat rack to do their curls any more...

Scott

Caleb Morley
07-19-2011, 01:32 AM
Are there any gloves out there that CF's would adopt?

I think most people wouldnt want to wear them as its not "macho" or considered weak but I completely agree with Eric. Where's the glory in coming in the next day after wripping you hands and not being able to hit the WOD (or hit it hard enough) because it has exercises in it that will rip the hands/cause discomfort.

My job also involves using my hands all day so having to deal with wrips is a nightmare.

Any suggestions would be welcome on decent gloves.

Maybe Reebok need to make a pair, then I reckon we'd see a massive shift in loads of people suddenly wearing them. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Caleb

Janie Smit
07-19-2011, 03:23 AM
Ok so friends of mine from the medical profession has given me a recipe to boughen up the palms of my hands. Have only been using it for about a week now and can already see/feel the difference.

We have named it Grapple Cream.

Not sure if these ingredients are available in all countries of if it is even called the same but here it is none the less.

100% pure Lanolin cream
Friars balsem

Mix about 2 tablespoons of Lanolin to a teaspoon of Friars balsem. The Fb makes the mixture pretty sticky so if you feel it is too sticky, add a little less Fb. Also for any new blisters put on pure Fb.

Apply this three times a day to your hands. Don't need much at all, only about a fingertip is plenty. Feels a bit sticky for the first few minutes and then nothing. Smells like cloves, not too awful.

Gary Butterfield
07-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Ok so friends of mine from the medical profession has given me a recipe to boughen up the palms of my hands. Have only been using it for about a week now and can already see/feel the difference.

We have named it Grapple Cream.

Not sure if these ingredients are available in all countries of if it is even called the same but here it is none the less.

100% pure Lanolin cream
Friars balsem

Mix about 2 tablespoons of Lanolin to a teaspoon of Friars balsem. The Fb makes the mixture pretty sticky so if you feel it is too sticky, add a little less Fb. Also for any new blisters put on pure Fb.

Apply this three times a day to your hands. Don't need much at all, only about a fingertip is plenty. Feels a bit sticky for the first few minutes and then nothing. Smells like cloves, not too awful.

This sounds like a recipe to success, thanks for this! How long do your medical friends recommend doing this for? Or will it now be a permanent fixture to your daily routine?

Gary Butterfield
07-19-2011, 04:53 PM
So, after tearing my hands up the other day like a knucklehead, my gymnast wife showed me how she used to protect rips she would get during practice.

Here's a video from Crossfit LA describing a very similar technique. (wfs)
http://vimeo.com/4895278

I think in the future, I'm going to prophylactically use this taping any time there is high rep pull-ups so I don't have to deal with tears again. There's nothing cool about willfully letting yourself get hurt.

As an additional benefit, as I learned working out in my local globogym yesterday, if you tape up like the video shows, people will move out of your way while you are doing your WOD. I'm not sure if it's because you look intense, crazy, or a mix of both, but it was like the Red Sea last night. Maybe if I use some eye black and snort while I walk around, those kids won't use my squat rack to do their curls any more...

Scott

Fantastic video this is mate, really useful, and that last comment made me laugh! When I trained in a globogym before my local affiliate opened early last year I was training in David Lloyd, typically an older persons gym where everyone can be spotted reading their books on a recline bike. The amount of looks I used to get when I was throwing weights above my head and making loud grunting noises were priceless! :)

Janie Smit
07-20-2011, 01:04 AM
This sounds like a recipe to success, thanks for this! How long do your medical friends recommend doing this for? Or will it now be a permanent fixture to your daily routine?

Permanent fixture I think Gary.

Good luck, hope it has the desired effect.

Chris Puckett
07-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Hi guys, I imagine this will be a pretty highly talked about subject, but I didn't spot a post specifically about this...

Whenever I'm training on the bars, and especially the rig, I ALWAYS tear my hands to pieces. I know a lot of it is my technique and I'm already making steps to sort this out. In the meantime though, does anyone have any strategies that they implement to deal with hand tears? I try to file them down so there's little to catch on the bars but past there I'm not sure how to deal with them.

Cheers guys and speak soon.

how much chalk do you use? if you do, try pullups without chalk, and keep a small towel with you in the workout to dry your hands

Gary Butterfield
07-21-2011, 01:25 AM
how much chalk do you use? if you do, try pullups without chalk, and keep a small towel with you in the workout to dry your hands

I use quite a lot of chalk to be honest, we've got pull up work at the gym tonight, I'll try it without and a towel, see if that has an effect, cheers mate.

Jonathan Dudley
07-21-2011, 07:07 AM
Cool video, thanks for sharing that. Other than just taping my fingers if I feel a blister coming on, I really haven't found much that works. I've tried some surgical "glue" (liquid stitches) that my company had and I've tried super glue, they both work but not for very long at all.

Aaron Gainer
07-23-2011, 10:16 PM
A pumice stone and Bag Balm(per Donny Shankle's hand care video) applied every night before bed fixed my calloused hands.