PDA

View Full Version : Left shoulder tingle

Casey Stanton
06-19-2011, 11:06 AM
I've been getting back in shape since mid-January, doing compound movements like squats, pushups, chinups, sprints, kettlebell swings, etc. About 2 months ago, I moved to a new city and found a 2" line hanging from a tree at a local park. I've been climbing it a few times a week, now up to 5 25' climbs.

Also, I picked up a set of Olympic weights, and have been trying to get my form set with them.

Now, the problem is that my left shoulder tingles a bit, and is in relative pain after some of the more intense workouts. I have a hard time with an overhead press on the second or third set, usually failing to push the bar up (my left shoulder being in too much pain).

I had a spotter tell me my elbow sticks out too far when I'm trying the press, and I think that's a symptom of the shoulder problem.

So - what do I do? Get a massage and deal with it? Give it a week to cool off? 2? 3? Start foam rolling my shoulder?

Thanks for all the help!

- Casey
25/m/5'10"/185

Brent Sallee
06-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Nerve symptoms don't tend to alleviate on their own unless they're due to inflammation. You've likely got a form of nerve impingement (could either be nerve root or peripheral nerve). That could be due to poor soft tissue mobility, basal neck positioning, overhead press form, etc. There's a lot to deal with - it sounds like it could be the axillary nerve impingement or C5 nerve root impingement (which is in your neck and not your shoulder). It's likely something that you'll have to see a professional about. Since a physical therapist could both evaluate and treat the condition, that would probably be the best bet.