PDA

View Full Version : posterior chain screw up

Leigh Stepanian
05-12-2011, 06:25 AM
Hey guys, I'm really going through a serious case of wtf. Before I begin let me explain a little bit, I am a 25 year old female, swam competitively for about 13years and soccer for about 8. I have been applying the crossfit methodology to my workouts for a little over a year, with bouts of stoppage for up to about two weeks at the max.(but i was running or swimming throughout that) So when I began crossfit I had already a lot of power in my legs and hips, squatting & deadlifting was what I excelled at. Over the past year, I don't know whats happened to my right hip/medial glute. My squat has me so far forward, that I can't PR anymore with my overhead squats, front squats, even my backsquat. I can't sit upright anymore in my squats. I used to be able to sit down there for 3 minutes. Now, I fall forward, and I'm barely below parallel. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED? I used to hit a PR every week, and not have any tightness in my hips, now they are so tight, my back collapses. I am foam rolling, band stretching, using trigger point balls, 4 point squats, and core work. Is there anything else I can do to help myself? I am a heavy mobwodder, so I don't know how this happened to me! I NEED HELP, I can't figure out how this happened and how to avoid it in the future. I am so aware of everything when I left that I know my body is compensating for something, somewhere. I need ideas, help, stories, info, anything!!!! I'm so frustrated!!!!! What can I do??

Jon West
05-12-2011, 06:45 AM
I am really really glad you posted this concern, as I have the same problem. I excelled at deadlifts and squats as well. A few weeks back I went to my affiliate coach and told him my knees are beginning to hurt, like hurt pretty bad ever since we did a wod that was 4 rounds of 50 squats/400m run. He told me I have no flexibility in my hamstrings, I have a butt-wink when I squat and I have no posterior chain strength. I mean wtf right?! He gave me some things to work on with bands, rollers and what not. I'm even doing mwods a few times a week.

I used to not have this problem, ie the butt wink thing, and am just as frustrated as you are. A few months ago I started a desk job, where I'm sitting is this stupid chair staring at a computer for 8 hours. For now, I'm blaming the fact that I'm riding this desk all day long for my newly acquired ailments. I even get on the floor and stretch with bands and foam roll throughout the day. Even go on walks down to the cafeteria just to grab a fork for my lunch.

So, that's what I've been doing to strengthen my posterior chain, the mwods, bands, foam rolling, lacrosse balls and using a running stick. Just the other day we were doing some sort of squatting and coach told me, that I'm beginning to look better in my squats. The thing is, my knees still ache...

Good luck

Anyone else?

Brent Sallee
05-12-2011, 06:53 AM
Sounds like a motor activation issue. It actually happens pretty frequently with CrossFit. People are just trying to get the reps done so sometimes they don't use their old motor programs. The glutes are the easiest to "forget." You'll probably require some retraining of your glute max and abs and whatever else isn't being activated well. This is typically done with light exercises focuses on a given group. For glutes, that can be bridges or single leg bridges, lunges while paying extra attention to the forward leg, sprawling into an exercise ball, etc.

Terry Gibbs
05-12-2011, 05:38 PM
I hope someone else chimes in but having buttwink makes your knees hurt !!!!!!!!!

Tight hips hammies and all that ...fine, but how does that give you bad knees after 400m and squats ...

I am no expert, but everytime I have knee issues it relates to form failing, too much eccentric, or too much volume..

Jon West
05-13-2011, 03:27 AM
I hope someone else chimes in but having buttwink makes your knees hurt !!!!!!!!!

Tight hips hammies and all that ...fine, but how does that give you bad knees after 400m and squats ...

I am no expert, but everytime I have knee issues it relates to form failing, too much eccentric, or too much volume..

I used to never have this butt-wink. Would you know why/how I have it now? I would like to think that I'm pretty flexible, as I can touch almost my whole palm to the ground when I stretch.

Also, I would say that 200 squats is a lot of volume, so ya, safe to say that I wouldn't rule out that one particular wod created some problems.

Brent Sallee
05-13-2011, 09:32 AM
I used to never have this butt-wink. Would you know why/how I have it now? I would like to think that I'm pretty flexible, as I can touch almost my whole palm to the ground when I stretch.

Also, I would say that 200 squats is a lot of volume, so ya, safe to say that I wouldn't rule out that one particular wod created some problems.

Butt wink can caused by glute weakness, poor motor activation of the glutes (especially deep in the hole), or lack of hip flexion. Sometimes it can be exacerbated by lack of dorsiflexion, but that's not the cause. So you either have to work on your mobility or your activation deep in the squat.

Troy Peterson
05-13-2011, 09:55 AM

Upstream, downstream. Tightness in hips & hammies can (and likely will at some point) lead to problems in your lower back, knees.

KStar Upstream & Downstream (http://www.mobilitywod.com/2010/10/episode-59-upstream-and-downstream-knee.html) WFS

[QUOTE=Jon West;935776]A few months ago I started a desk job, where I'm sitting is this stupid chair staring at a computer for 8 hours. For now, I'm blaming the fact that I'm riding this desk all day long for my newly acquired ailments. I even get on the floor and stretch with bands and foam roll throughout the day. Even go on walks down to the cafeteria just to grab a fork for my lunch.

So, that's what I've been doing to strengthen my posterior chain, the mwods, bands, foam rolling, lacrosse balls and using a running stick. Just the other day we were doing some sort of squatting and coach told me, that I'm beginning to look better in my squats. The thing is, my knees still ache...
[QUOTE]

See the MWod up top. Sounds like you understand the issues of sitting all day (welcome to corporate world) and are actively doing stuff.

@ Leigh, I didn't see you mention changes in your daily non-workout habits like Jon. You're at an age where maybe you are out of school and now working (sitting) during the day. Keep at your mobility and see a good PT if things persist.

Terry Gibbs
05-13-2011, 06:58 PM
I was a nat level jr in Ol and made it to nats in Pl as a sr. Seen lots of knee pain in and around OL inparticular but never heard it was caused by lack of hip hammie strength..

understand opinions differ, but would love someone with credentials or authority in this to comment .. cause I thinks his trainer is talking out of his hat .... to be polite

if there is research there, serioulsy I would love to know, expand my knowledge and move on, but not some other untrained underqualified expert..

think the OPs knees were over trained by a dumb workout..

almost as dumb as a "Litvinov" .. hey it actually is the no weight version of a Litvinov....

Katherine Derbyshire
05-13-2011, 07:36 PM
I'm with Terry on this one. Sure, 200 air squats will definitely make your knees sore -- gets me in the lower quads, right above the knee -- but if you were fine before the workout yet still hurt weeks later, there's something else going on.

Katherine