PDA

View Full Version : No power in left leg...

Chris Gartrell
04-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Here's the story behind it. About 6 weeks ago I suffered a lumbar strain which kept me out of training hard, and as we all know when we can't train hard we become fat and disgusting. Upon my return I decided it would a great idea to start training as hard as I could right away instead of easing back into it. I know what your all thinking, and yes, he got hurt again. This time however it wasn't the lumbar. I was longboarding to work a couple of days after I had done a 20 min AMRAP of 400s and my left calf cramped, to the point where I had to walk to work because I could no longer push off. I have been walking with a slight limp ever sense then, that was last Friday. I've also noticed that I cannot flex my glute, hamstring, or calf on that side of my body either. The fact that my left side seems to have shut down is slightly alarming. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Everett Steinbarger
04-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Recent lumbar issues and then muscular weakness a few weeks later should be alarming. Possibly a bad combination.

See a physician and make sure you don't have any nerve impingement in the Lumbar spine.

Brent Sallee
04-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Recent lumbar issues and then muscular weakness a few weeks later should be alarming. Possibly a bad combination.

See a physician and make sure you don't have any nerve impingement in the Lumbar spine.

Bing bing bing. This is absolutely right. The onset between the two is a little too close for comfort. Do you have any tingling, numbness, or weird sensations on the back of your leg (anywhere from the glutes to the calf)? Are the other muscles weak just when your calf is involved? Can you try isolating the others by themselves? Do you feel weak then too?

Chris Gartrell
04-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Bing bing bing. This is absolutely right. The onset between the two is a little too close for comfort. Do you have any tingling, numbness, or weird sensations on the back of your leg (anywhere from the glutes to the calf)? Are the other muscles weak just when your calf is involved? Can you try isolating the others by themselves? Do you feel weak then too?

As for any other altered sensations in that leg the answer is no. The only thing that seems to be occurring is the muscular weakness. The motion that troubles me the most is simply pushing off my left leg, it's safe to safe that I have less than 50% power on that leg. Right now I'm unable to hold my own bodyweight on that leg. Squatting is fine for the most part, I actually did the Open WOD yesterday evening just I could submit a score for my box and it didn't bother it at all from I recall. Deadlifting is a little shakey what with the hamstring on that side not really activating. After the injury occurred my calf was very stiff and sore for 3-4 following. That has subsided quite a bit and is almost gone, however I'm still walking with a slight lip and running is out of the question. I was considering just going to the hospital sometime next week, best route?

Brent Sallee
04-15-2011, 07:11 PM
As for any other altered sensations in that leg the answer is no. The only thing that seems to be occurring is the muscular weakness. The motion that troubles me the most is simply pushing off my left leg, it's safe to safe that I have less than 50% power on that leg. Right now I'm unable to hold my own bodyweight on that leg. Squatting is fine for the most part, I actually did the Open WOD yesterday evening just I could submit a score for my box and it didn't bother it at all from I recall. Deadlifting is a little shakey what with the hamstring on that side not really activating. After the injury occurred my calf was very stiff and sore for 3-4 following. That has subsided quite a bit and is almost gone, however I'm still walking with a slight lip and running is out of the question. I was considering just going to the hospital sometime next week, best route?

I don't know if a hospital is the best route, but with your description, I'd definitely go see an orthopedist pretty quickly - get in whenever they can fit you. It's just an uncommon cohort of symptoms/lack thereof. They should be able to help you out.

Everett Steinbarger
04-16-2011, 03:25 AM
Being seen in an Urgent Care center or an ER would be a good place to start. Both of those places could get initial plain X-Rays of your Lumbar Spine and Pelvis, and then make a referral to an orthopedist.

Brent Sallee
04-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Being seen in an Urgent Care center or an ER would be a good place to start. Both of those places could get initial plain X-Rays of your Lumbar Spine and Pelvis, and then make a referral to an orthopedist.

Ah, I always forget about Urgent Care. Definitely a good idea. Sometimes you can get into an emergency orthopedic clinic too. I'd say that'd be best 'cause you can head directly to the person you want to see. They're pretty sparse though so urgent care then orthopedist would be the next best thing.

Meghan Reid
04-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Not training for 6 weeks doesn't mean you'll get fat and disgusting. You can still eat clean and well, just adjust the volume of food accordingly.

Good luck with your recovery.

Brent Sallee
04-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Not training for 6 weeks doesn't mean you'll get fat and disgusting. You can still eat clean and well, just adjust the volume of food accordingly.

Good luck with your recovery.

Exactly - gives you time to work the upper body a bit as well.

Chris Gartrell
04-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Urgent Care it is! Thank you for the advice, I'll post again after I get a verdict.