PDA

View Full Version : Myofascial Release in QL help?

Daniel Frankel
04-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Ive been trying to get a good myofascial release in my QL the past couple of days, and ive been rolling on some softballs and hardballs (i dont have access to lacrosse balls, but my hardball has absolutely NO give). I just cant seem to get a release. Ive rolled for 5 mins at a time all the way upto 15 mins. Ive tried contract-relax with it, completely relaxing, flexing everything in my abdominal region, and just rolling on the pain.

Please Help?

Sometimes this area feels tight for me, and it has been more in recent weeks than normal. I spent most of my day sitting, could this be why? Should I attempt to work from my computer while standing? I can talk to some of my teachers as well, see if I can work from the back of the class, and stand while I take notes on my laptop.

Also, the reason for trying so hard to get a release is because it had been irritating me if i turn to far to my left (my right is fine), as if i were going to crack my back (which I have been doing for 2 years or so about twice and hour.) I have been able to almost get myself to stop though. I am assuming that this is causing the pain?

Brian Strump
04-13-2011, 06:35 AM
My guess is that it's not your QL, look elsewhere for the source. If you give more info. we might be able to help more, but nothing will help more than getting it properly evaluated.
The longer this lasts, the more likely other compensatory changes will start to creep up.

Daniel Frankel
04-13-2011, 07:12 AM
My guess is that it's not your QL, look elsewhere for the source. If you give more info. we might be able to help more, but nothing will help more than getting it properly evaluated.
The longer this lasts, the more likely other compensatory changes will start to creep up.

Okay, ill look into it, thanks.

Struan Potter
04-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Is your lumbar spine overextended? If so, http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/03/episode-210365-10-minute-squat-test-7.html

One stretch that will hit the QL directly is at 2:50 in the video here http://www.mobilitywod.com/2010/09/episode-35-spinal-mobility-box-squat.html

Brent Sallee
04-13-2011, 09:09 AM
It could be your back extensors or quadratus lumborum... Could even be your hip flexors. Honestly though, it's not something that's going to release in one day, if it's been like this for a while. Work on it every other day consistently. Sometimes it takes weeks for significant mobility within the muscle to be gained.

Also, refer to what Struan posted. Hyperextension of the lumbar spine (exacerbated by tight hip flexors and back extensors) leads to a chronic tightness and shortening within the back. Make sure to keep the hip mobile to avoid this in the future.

Daniel Frankel
04-13-2011, 11:41 AM
It could be your back extensors or quadratus lumborum... Could even be your hip flexors. Honestly though, it's not something that's going to release in one day, if it's been like this for a while. Work on it every other day consistently. Sometimes it takes weeks for significant mobility within the muscle to be gained.

Also, refer to what Struan posted. Hyperextension of the lumbar spine (exacerbated by tight hip flexors and back extensors) leads to a chronic tightness and shortening within the back. Make sure to keep the hip mobile to avoid this in the future.

Ill take alook at the video when i get home, but my hips are prety flexible. I am about 2 cm from doing the forwards splits on both sides, and 10 (probably less) for sideways splits. Unless thats otger muscles, and you referring to muscles not used in the splits.

Daniel Frankel
04-18-2011, 09:33 PM
I had my uncle, who is an osteopath, take a look at my back and treat it. I described it to him as QL pain, showed him where it hurts, etc. after the treatment, I felt a lot better, and he told me that "my kidney was stuck". I didn't have the time to ask specifics, but when I do, I'll let all of you know. I believe I got it by overextending my back when I crack it, and bad sitting posture (until recently), where I leaned towards my left side.

Brent Sallee
04-19-2011, 08:28 AM
I had my uncle, who is an osteopath, take a look at my back and treat it. I described it to him as QL pain, showed him where it hurts, etc. after the treatment, I felt a lot better, and he told me that "my kidney was stuck". I didn't have the time to ask specifics, but when I do, I'll let all of you know. I believe I got it by overextending my back when I crack it, and bad sitting posture (until recently), where I leaned towards my left side.

The kidney is technically always stuck because it's pinned down by a layer of tissue called the peritoneum. No offense, but I don't buy that reason. Either way, if you feel better, that's great. What did he do you "fix" it?

Daniel Frankel
04-19-2011, 10:16 AM
The kidney is technically always stuck because it's pinned down by a layer of tissue called the peritoneum. No offense, but I don't buy that reason. Either way, if you feel better, that's great. What did he do you "fix" it?

He had me lie down on his table, and was doing a lot of stuff that involved applying pressure to the area and releasing ir, and pulling it in different directions, if that makes any sense.