PDA

View Full Version : IT Band Syndrome

Krysta Bustin
04-10-2011, 11:30 AM
3 Years ago I shattered my right femur in a skydiving accident, and ever since then have had significant chronic pain in my right knee. My right leg is significantly weaker than the left, and much stiffer as well. It hurts all the time - every squat, every sprint, every clean. No actual knee damage has shown up on MRI scans...but I'm still left with the pain.

On a brighter note....I've been CrossFitting for about 1.5 years and I'm currently opening a new Box in FL!!!! :) As a new Box owner/partner, I've been upping my game like crazy and pushing myself as hard as I can to be the BEST role model I can be for my clients - and having a blast!

It's been awesome. But...I hurt. All the time. Recently, I came across some information on IT Band Syndrome, and its description matches my symptoms PERFECTLY. I don't have health insurance so can't go and get myself exactly diagnosed, but have friends who are physical therapists and agree.

SO....does anyone have tips on being a FIREBREATHER with a screwed up IT Band and previous traumatic injury? I can beast through a lot of pain, but would rather not have to be swallowing painkillers before every WOD.

ANYTHING WOULD BE HELPFUL!!! Thanks.

Shane Skowron
04-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Do you see a thin line sticking out of the outside of your leg running from the knee to the hip?

Page Johnson
04-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Have you checked with a PT friend about using a foam roller to roll out the IT band after workouts? It hurts like a beast!

I've had IT band syndrome, and exercise, stretches and foam rolling helped. I did not have your level of injuries though, so you may want to verify with PT friends before using a roller.

Krysta Bustin
04-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Shane - That is the one symptom that I lack. It hurts the whole way from knee to hip, but doesn't have the visual.

Eric S. Jensen
04-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Rest and stretching is what worked for me. You can get a cortisone shot in your knee. I had that done twice but only bc at the time I couldn't stop my training. If you can lay off it for about 3-4 weeks you should get better.