PDA

View Full Version : Pain inside bicep area

Julian Vasquez
04-04-2011, 07:12 AM
Thanks to those reading this. I haven't found any other topics covering what I'm feeling but maybe I can get some help. I have a pain in my left inside bicept area. It hurts the most when doing rope climbs and during pullups. I've noticed that most pulling hurt but pushing seems fine. It hurts even if I flex without a load. I don't have any forearm pain and the issue is not really on the elbow which is what most people complain about. Discomfort runs from near armpit to near elbow on the inside part of the upper arm althoug it's not very tender to the touch unless I press really firmly. When I got the pain last week I tried massaging it and I woke up with more pain then I had after the WOD. Any help identifying the issue would help. I had this similar pain about 6 weeks ago and I rested for a month. Now that I feel the same pain again I'm worried it'll become chronic. I'm trying to identify what the issue is to better understand how to treat and avoid getting the pain again.

I've attached a picture showing about where the pain runs through.

Brent Sallee
04-04-2011, 05:52 PM
It could be a couple of things. It's hard to localize what's actually hurting in just a picture. It seems like the biceps (probably long head) or coracobrachialis. Coracobrachialis should hurt when you flex your shoulder under load though - do you have pain with shoulder flexion? Just resting the tissue doesn't necessarily make it better. You've got to find the problem, address it, and continue strengthening or addressing the issue. I'd say do LIGHT soft tissue massage. If it gets anywhere above a 3/10 on you personal pain scale, then you are doing it wrong. Bring in some light curls in 3-4 days, doing them for 10-15 reps (very light... like, start with just your arm first). If that hurts, ice, keep doing light massage, and give it a few more days. Try that again. Start adding some weight to your curling every week. See if it improves over the next 2-4 weeks.

Julian Vasquez
04-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks Brent. Shoulder Flexion doesn't really bother me and actually the pain subsides within a day or two with inactivity. The problem is that I can't really feel exactly where the pain is but it's a general pain in the area. I started the curls last night and will continue in case it's the bicept.

On a more general question, how would one identify the difference between a muscle issue from a nerve issue to a tendon issue. Probably a difficult question but maybe there's general descriptions as to how each of those issues may manifest themselves with respect to discomfort of pain.

Thanks

Brent Sallee
04-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks Brent. Shoulder Flexion doesn't really bother me and actually the pain subsides within a day or two with inactivity. The problem is that I can't really feel exactly where the pain is but it's a general pain in the area. I started the curls last night and will continue in case it's the bicept.

On a more general question, how would one identify the difference between a muscle issue from a nerve issue to a tendon issue. Probably a difficult question but maybe there's general descriptions as to how each of those issues may manifest themselves with respect to discomfort of pain.

Thanks

Both muscle and tendon issues (they're connected so they respond to the same stresses) will result in pain upon contraction. Muscle will be within the belly or along the muscle, tendon will be at the end of a given muscle. It wouldn't be quite so diffuse as your pain. It's typically only a point. A nerve issue would present in a given pattern. Symptoms would include numbness, tingling, and weakness for given muscles (unless it's just a cutaneous nerve). Those would present with surrounding muscular contraction (with tingling, pain), tapping the nerve site (Tinel's sign), and may even result in some muscle weakness.

Do you have any neck issues on top of this pain? Neck pain, stiffness, etc? Ever have any direct trauma at or around the area?

Ryan Webernick
04-07-2011, 02:19 PM
I know you mentioned some of the exercises where you experience the pain(rope climb, pullups), but do you recall a specific exercise possibly a day before the pain.

I've felt what you are describing a few times before when I noticed I let my form get bad while doing cleans. Basically, when I would get tired and pull with my arms too early.

Julian Vasquez
04-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Both muscle and tendon issues (they're connected so they respond to the same stresses) will result in pain upon contraction. Muscle will be within the belly or along the muscle, tendon will be at the end of a given muscle. It wouldn't be quite so diffuse as your pain. It's typically only a point. A nerve issue would present in a given pattern. Symptoms would include numbness, tingling, and weakness for given muscles (unless it's just a cutaneous nerve). Those would present with surrounding muscular contraction (with tingling, pain), tapping the nerve site (Tinel's sign), and may even result in some muscle weakness.

Do you have any neck issues on top of this pain? Neck pain, stiffness, etc? Ever have any direct trauma at or around the area?

No trauma to the area. No tingling or muscle weakness so I guess not the nerve. Maybe the tendon or muscle although based on your input probably not the tendon as the pain is not completely localized.

I haven't worked out since I felt the pain last week but yesterday I felt some discomfort in the second x from the elbow in my attached picture. I magged with the thumb of opposite hand and I woke up a little sore in that spot. I did some light one handed sitting rows today and some light curls to see if I could get a feel for the injury but other than some discomfort I'm not feeling pain. However, I'm worried that if I go back to doing WODs the stress will cause another setback.

Julian Vasquez
04-08-2011, 09:46 AM
I know you mentioned some of the exercises where you experience the pain(rope climb, pullups), but do you recall a specific exercise possibly a day before the pain.

I've felt what you are describing a few times before when I noticed I let my form get bad while doing cleans. Basically, when I would get tired and pull with my arms too early.

Ryan, the first time this happened to me earlier this year after only having done Crossfit for about a couple of weeks I did hurt it on a day I did Cleans and Pullups on the same day. I remember the pain most when I did the Pullups and actually wasn't able to finish all the pullups that day but did finish the Cleans and Pushups.

My latest issue was on a day when we did Rope Climbs and overhead squats but really was feeling it on the robe climb only. I have discomfort just with a dead hang on a pullup bar. Not in pain right now but concerned over hurting it worse on a WOD.

Did you figure out what was hurting you? Was it muscular? Ice and rest or did you strengthen it back up with some light rehab work? Thanks

Ryan Webernick
04-08-2011, 11:08 AM
I just avoided any pulling movements for a few days, and the pain went away.

My workout partner has experienced the same thing, and it is always following a clean workout where he starts pulling with his arms before the second pull. I think if you arms are bent during the second pull, it can cause some problems, especially if that is coupled with kipping pullups in a wod.

Brent Sallee
04-08-2011, 04:11 PM
No trauma to the area. No tingling or muscle weakness so I guess not the nerve. Maybe the tendon or muscle although based on your input probably not the tendon as the pain is not completely localized.

I haven't worked out since I felt the pain last week but yesterday I felt some discomfort in the second x from the elbow in my attached picture. I magged with the thumb of opposite hand and I woke up a little sore in that spot. I did some light one handed sitting rows today and some light curls to see if I could get a feel for the injury but other than some discomfort I'm not feeling pain. However, I'm worried that if I go back to doing WODs the stress will cause another setback.

You know, it could even be some deeper fibers of the triceps. Try feeling around inside there and see if you can find any knots.

Julian Vasquez
04-11-2011, 06:51 AM
I just avoided any pulling movements for a few days, and the pain went away.

My workout partner has experienced the same thing, and it is always following a clean workout where he starts pulling with his arms before the second pull. I think if you arms are bent during the second pull, it can cause some problems, especially if that is coupled with kipping pullups in a wod.

Doesn't look like I have the same thing, or at least in severity. Can't seem to get better.

Julian Vasquez
04-11-2011, 06:53 AM
You know, it could even be some deeper fibers of the triceps. Try feeling around inside there and see if you can find any knots.

I had done that previously when trying to massage but I can't really feel anything unusual. Yesterday while installing a window ac unit felt some pain in the same area so I'm not getting better. I may have to see someone about this as I'm so far clueless as to how to treat since I don't know what's wrong.

Kyle Hougendobler
09-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Glad I searched before I posted.

I have the same issue for the past couple months. Both biceps get in tremendous pain after a WOD with pull-ups, dips, muscle ups, rope climbs, push-ups or SDHP. The pain also subsides in the lower part of my forearm where the bicep meets it. Sometimes I never get pain after those movements. I did 31 Heroes WOD on Saturday 9/10 and I felt fine. I went to the driving range to hit some balls. I got to hit about 12 golf balls and had to quick, the pain was so awful I couldn't even swing the club anymore.

Sprain or Strain? Ice helps sometimes.