PDA

View Full Version : Broken Wrist

Larry Cronyn
10-28-2010, 01:56 PM
About 8 years ago I broke the scaphoid bone in my right wrist. I thought it was sprained, so I ended up playing an entire football season with it. I noticed my wrist wasn't getting better, so I went to the doctor and found out that I needed a screw and a bone graft. 9 months later my wrist was finally healed, but it had horribly atrophied. I have pretty much full motion forward, but my wrist does not bend back at all (maybe a centimeter). This makes cleans, snatches, and push presses very difficult because all of the weight is on my thumb. I competed in strongman for a couple years and the log presses felt fine, but using an olympic bar is much different and my thumb can't support much more than 135.

Does anyone have any tips for getting motion back?

Steven Low
10-28-2010, 02:12 PM
If you can stretch it without pain then keep doing that..

Otherwise, try to traction the joint some and then stretch them as well.

Other mobility work may help for warmups and loosening.

I'm not sure how much of the limited ROM is from the surgery... or from scar tissue or just from muscle tightness. Obviously you want the latter two as you can work through those to get more.

If the screw is limiting then that's going to be a problem that you may want to talk to a PT more about.