PDA

View Full Version : Heat and when to apply

Bill M. Hesse
10-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Been trying to search, but my kung fu is not strong. When, in general, is it okay to heat and rock the salt bath or hot tub. I know some days hitting the pool after heavy lifting helps my joints feel relieved, and then I like 5 or so mins in the hot tub. It is no box, but my gym does have things that are nice to include a therapy roon ftw. I digress. So when is heat helping me and when is it not?

Steven Low
10-18-2010, 02:39 PM
THat's something you can answer yourself.

Is it helping you or is it not?

Everyone's a bit different regarding recovery so heat can help in some circumstances especially tight muscles and the like. Whatever works then do it.

Don't need other people ot tell you that.

Bill M. Hesse
10-18-2010, 08:13 PM
You just hear a lot about when it is appropriate and then there are those who say it isn't. I find it relaxes things and makes the joints feel good after some squats, but if somehow it wasn't helping I wanted to know. (i.e. if it was actually harmful)

Steven Low
10-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Well, if it's causing any swelling or edema it would be inappropriate.

Usually you wouldnt do it after high intensity exercise either (in the post workout period).

Kevin Bean
10-20-2010, 11:24 PM
Well, if it's causing any swelling or edema it would be inappropriate.

Steven hit the nail on the head.

Heat increases blood flow which may be beneficial for you but only you will know how your body reacts. There isn't as much science to your application as there is when applying heat for injuries.

Bill M. Hesse
10-21-2010, 09:53 PM
roger that, sure feels good to salt bath in the tub before bed after a good day at work and the gym. :pepper: